What is the effect of dates or bananas to cookies?

Reaction score
I really like baking cookies but I do not like the fact that the white sugar I use is very unhealthy. I would like to replace the sugar in my cookies with bananas and dates or something of that kind. I do not like the idea of using stevia or any granulated/powdered sweeteners.
I am curious what effect would these have on my cookies. Would the melt in your mouth texture be gone? Would they become more chewy? How much extra flour would I need to add? Do I need to omit any eggs?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Every ingredient added to a cookie is technically “unhealthy” Including the flour. If you’re that concerned about cookies, I would recommend you simply not eat them.

Cookies are a treat. They are meant to be eaten in moderation.

Omitting the sugar will completely change the texture.

Banana and dates are not sugar substitutes.

Baking is a chemical reaction of all the ingredients to temperature and time.

In a cookie. At 92°F butter melts

Butter is an emulsion of fat and water; butter separates at this temperature.

The water heats, then turns to steam.

The steam expands the dough.

At 122°F (50°C) starch gelatinization begins

At 144°F (60°C) protein denaturalization begins.

At 310°F (155°C) maillard reactions occurs. This is where protein and sugar content are critical.

When the maillard reaction occurs the amino acids (proteins) and sugars break down then the two form into a single ring like structure. The new structure they form deflects light, so food has a distinctive golden caramelized color. But more important, when the amino acids and the sugars react together, they creates compounds that create new aromas and flavors. Flavors and textures that we really love in cookies.

Banana and dates do not have proteins to trigger the maillard reaction. Bananas are also full of water which will make for a gooey dense cookie.

Reaction score
Replacing the white sugar in your cookies with bananas and dates will definitely have an effect on the texture of your cookies. Generally speaking, the cookies will become more dense and chewy. You may need to add extra flour to make up for the additional moisture from the bananas and dates. You may also need to omit some of the eggs depending on how much you add. However, if you add too much extra flour, your cookies will become dry and crumbly. As for the sweetness, it depends on the type of bananas and dates you use. You can experiment with different amounts of each ingredient to get the sweetness level you desire.

Ask a Question