What is the most creative flavor of frosting you know?

Reaction score
I think frosting is one of the few things about baking that can get boring or fall into the same routine. I see mostly vanilla and chocolate of course. Peanut butter and cream cheese. I was wondering if anyone knew of a creative frosting recipe or just simply muse about one? I'd like to hear about new flavors!

Reaction score
I know frosting can get a bit routine. You mentioned peanut butter, and I had never really heard of that even. You can probably look up online some unique frosting recipes or even experiment with one of your own!

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have, when appropriate, added a wee bit of liqueur to my buttercream frosting. I usually keep it quite subtle and allow it shine from the background, but on occasion, I've made the liqueur the showstopper in the icing. Grand Marnier is a prime example of a fantastic orange liqueur that really pops when used atop cupcakes! I've also used Bailey's, Creme de Cassis (blackcurrant flavored!), and creme de violette (violets!). I clearly get quite excited by the stranger choices, but I really love that moment when someone falls in love with the icing and then is floored to find out it's made with violet liqueur.

Reaction score
I have, when appropriate, added a wee bit of liqueur to my buttercream frosting. I usually keep it quite subtle and allow it shine from the background, but on occasion, I've made the liqueur the showstopper in the icing. Grand Marnier is a prime example of a fantastic orange liqueur that really pops when used atop cupcakes! I've also used Bailey's, Creme de Cassis (blackcurrant flavored!), and creme de violette (violets!). I clearly get quite excited by the stranger choices, but I really love that moment when someone falls in love with the icing and then is floored to find out it's made with violet liqueur.

Your "stranger choices" sound fantastic. The violet icing sounds delicious. I love violet flavor and I buy the C. Howard's violet flavored candies and mints.

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember where I'd seen it (it was before I'd started collecting frosting recipes in earnest) but there was a toasted marshmallow frosting I liked.

Reaction score
Marshmallow frosting?? Sure sounds delicious. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. A s'mores cake or cupcake could be made with that... So creative!

Reaction score
Yes, and if I'm remembering it correctly you actually toasted the marshmallows (we broiled them) before incorporating them into the frosting. (Or I might be thinking of the toasted marshmallow milkshake recipe I have.)

Reaction score
Oh my. Sounds so delicious. It's crazy because when I was younger, I hated marshmallows. Guess my view has changed now!

Reaction score
I enjoy peanut butter frosting as well as maple frosting. I am not sure that they count as creative but they are so very good. I also enjoy the occasional frosting with flavored coffee too!

Reaction score
I enjoy peanut butter frosting as well as maple frosting. I am not sure that they count as creative but they are so very good. I also enjoy the occasional frosting with flavored coffee too!

Maple is delicious, though it can be too sweet sometimes. I also seem to only see it now and then, like three or four places or brands will suddenly be like "hell yeah maple!" and then it vanishes again. I wonder if it's seasonal or something.

Reaction score
Maple is delicious, though it can be too sweet sometimes. I also seem to only see it now and then, like three or four places or brands will suddenly be like "hell yeah maple!" and then it vanishes again. I wonder if it's seasonal or something.

LOL you can make your own as well. Buy the maple flavoring and mix it with the frosting of your choice. I use it with butter cream frosting and it turns out pretty darn good. I have never actually seen it in stores on the shelves. What brand carries it? I will make sure to look for it. :)

Ask a Question