What is the right word to use...?

Reaction score
Up to now I am still confused which is the right word to use for:

Is it a..."Self Raising Flour" or a ...."Self Rising Flour?

Are they the same in meaning but only different in spelling?

Or...they are different in meaning?

Because sometimes when I am reading articles and books about baking I always encountered both of this words and I am always confused..

Reaction score
Trellum, Zyni, Diane. Cupcake, somebody, help us out. I did a quick bit of research and as I thought, someone is suggesting one had an English derivative and the other is American.
"self-raising = english
self-rising = US"

Then there was talk about 'fin' a word I had never heard before but is somehow related to flour. I suspect someone will be along to help us shortly.

Reaction score
Found this on Nigella.com (Nigella Lawson is a rather beautiful British TV cook) explaining how to make self-rising flour. The last line is informative.

Self-Raising Flour
How do you make self-raising flour at home? Unfortunately it is not available where I live. Thanks!

Posted by sindhuri. Answered on 10th Feb 2012 at 12.00

From the nigella team:
Nigella tends not to use self-raising flour in her more recent books as she doesn't bother to keep both plain (all-purpose) and self-raising flour. Partly as keeping just one type of flour saves on storage space and partly as if you don't use self-raising flour regularly then it will lose its raising power over time.

It is fairly easy to make your own self-raising flour. Just add 2 teaspoons of baking powder for each 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl before using, to make sure the baking powder is thoroughly distributed (or you can put both ingredients into a bowl and whisk them together). If you are baking with cocoa, yogurt or buttermilk then add 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) as well as the baking powder as generally these ingredients need a little extra leavening boost.

Make sure that your baking powder has not passed its "use by" or "best before" date as baking powder also has a finite life and if it is old you may find that your cakes don't rise.

In the US self-rising flour also contains added salt - around 1/2 teaspoon per cup.

Reaction score
@Winterybella ...Any additional information about this thread....:)
No I have not. I expect some of the others will come and help us. So far I am thinking it's a spelling thing from what I have read.

The difference is the spelling!

self-raising = english
self-rising = US
extra fint mjöl = Swedish

I feel pretty sure it's just about spelling.

Reaction score
@Winterybella ...up to now I am still confused...the reason why I had this idea of writing this thread like what I had said when I am reading or searching I always encountered this two words...Well thank you also for the effort of sharing your thoughts about this...

Reaction score
@Winterybella ...up to now I am still confused...the reason why I had this idea of writing this thread like what I had said when I am reading or searching I always encountered this two words...Well thank you also for the effort of sharing your thoughts about this...

:) Don't be confused anymore. I honestly believe it's really just a difference in spelling but it usually refers to flour that has a leavening agent already added to it. So when you see self raising or self rising it's the same flour. I hope I did not confuse you further. Just bake:).

Reaction score
That's exactly how I'd interpret it as well. There seem to be a lot of bakers and cooks from various countries coming together on these forums, so they are a good place to bring up these issues, for clarification. I just had a question recently about a UK recipe that called for 'cream', and it rose again when talking to an Australian. Here in the US, we have several variations of cream, and using the wrong one could make a big difference in a recipe, but it seems clear self-raising and self-rising are variations of the same thing, just one is British English and the other American English. Bake on!

Reaction score
@Winterybella Thank you so much for your nice explanation and I assure you that I will not get confuse anymore...Now I knew already that they are the same thing but just different in spelling. I appreciated it very much.. :)

Reaction score
It is about the spelling :) Don't worry too much about it, they are basically the same, it's just american and British people write a lot things differently and there is where the confusion arises. Similar to color and colour, or center and centre.

Reaction score
@Trellum Thank you also for the good thoughts about this terms that always confuse me...There are really many baking terms that had the same in meaning but different in spelling and you are right that it is where the confusion arises. Thank you guys :)

Reaction score
Glad I could be of at least a bit help, you did good by coming here and ask us! :) We are here to help, always remember that ;)

Ask a Question