What is the texture of cheesecake?

Reaction score
hi,

I have followed a youtube recipe for cotton cheesecake using only eggs, white chocolate and cream cheese. The texture came out to be moist and creamy. But my friends said it does not taste like a cake at all. Does cheesecake requires flour? What is the real texture of cheesecake?

Reaction score
There are many different varieties of cheesecakes. Cotton Cheesecake has a different texture and consistency than, lets say, New York Cheesecake.

Not all cheesecake recipes are the same. Some have eggs, some do not. Some have a lot of cream cheese in them, others only a little.

It depends on the ingredients used and the amount of the ingredients used, on how the cheesecake will turn out.

I've never made Cotton Cheesecake, but from what I have seen online about it, you made it correctly.

:)

Reaction score
Hi ChesterV,

Thanks for clearing my doubt. I think it is still up to individual preference. My friend thinks cake should be at least be cakey texture to be called a cake if not will be pudding or custard.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Nope, cheesecake is not a cake despite its name. The texture is very different, so it sounds like you did everything right. Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Nope, cheesecake is not a cake despite its name. The texture is very different, so it sounds like you did everything right. Welcome to the forum! :)

Yeah, cheeseCAKE is a misnomer.

Cake usually has the two standard ingredients of flour and eggs. As cheesecake has no flour, it will not turn out cake like. Instead, cream cheese is used instead of flour, which has a different result in texture.

If you put more eggs in a cheesecake, it can give the illusion of "cake", but still be "wet". Less eggs usually means a denser and more flat result, with the "cake" being cut more like a custard pie or quiche.

It is still called CAKE, simply for the reason the only ingredient missing that makes it a standard cake, is the flour. Aside from the cream cheese, a cheesecake recipe will use most of the same ingredients as a regular cake.

It is also called a cake, because it is made in a cake pan (some people prefer springform pans), resembles a cake layer, and can be served with or without a topping.

Personally, to be as exact as possible, I think it should be called a Dessert Quiche, as it is more closely related to the quiche than anything else.

Wink Wink Kitten.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Becky,

You are right, think is because our understanding of cake is those cake texture we normally eat. So it is a misunderstanding that cheesecake is also like a cake just taste like cheese. Hope to learn more from you guys through this forum. Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi ChesterV,

Thanks for the clarifying now i can explain to my friends now why it is called a cheese cake when it does not feel or taste like one.

Can i also check with you the texture of lava cake? Is it supposed to be cake texture too? I did bake one but it is dense and moist and again texture is not like a normal cake. I know the lava cake is like an unbaked cake which retain the liquid chocolate once it is taken out of the oven. Please advise.

Reaction score
Hi ChesterV,

Thanks for the clarifying now i can explain to my friends now why it is called a cheese cake when it does not feel or taste like one.

Can i also check with you the texture of lava cake? Is it supposed to be cake texture too? I did bake one but it is dense and moist and again texture is not like a normal cake. I know the lava cake is like an unbaked cake which retain the liquid chocolate once it is taken out of the oven. Please advise.

Lava Cake is just regular cake batter that isn't baked all the way. It is baked long enough for the sides of the batter to firm up and become cake, while the center stays liquid. If you bake it completely, it will just bake into a standard cake layer.

Since Lava Cakes really only have the outer part of the cake baked, they tend to be a bit dry, sticky, or gummy. This is because the outside of the cake that is baking/touching the cake pan is baking faster than the inside of the cake. What keeps the outside part of the cake from burning while baking is all that moisture from the batter inside the middle of the cake. The moisture has to escape somewhere, and it usually escapes through the edges and top, which keeps the outsides from burning until the insides of the cake are done.

When you bake a Lava Cake, and the center is still wet, it still has all that moisture which will keep trying to escape after it's taken out of the oven, so sometimes it makes the outside of the cake that is baked all the way, kind of gummy, sticky, or seem dry.

So to answer your question, yes.....dense on the outside, gooey on the inside.
:D

Ask a Question