Glass or Metal Baking Pan: Which One is Better?

Reaction score
The reason why I asked this question is because every time I am baking me and my mom are always arguing. I like to use a glass pan but she always insisting me to use a metal pan. She said that it will took me longer hours to bake using a glass pan. What is your idea about this? And what baking recipes are good using a glass pan and a metal pan?

Reaction score
I do not think it will take much longer with a glass pan, but you will save yourself having to worry about thing like non-stick chemicals or aluminum leaching into your baked goods. I always use glass whenever possible. If I have to use metal I line with parchment paper to prevent aluminum contamination.

Reaction score
I actually prefer glass pans, but I don't have very many of them. I need to get a couple more.

Generally, recipes say to set the oven lower when using glass, so it does take a bit longer to bake things when using glass pans. I don't think the difference is really big enough to worry about though. I'd rather it take slightly longer than worry about residue and such from metal pans.

Reaction score
I use metal pans for cakes and cupcakes but glass pans for everything else. I may change to glass because of the aluminum contamination but now I wonder if glass cupcake pans exist. Those would be awesome.

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen glass muffin/cupcake pans, but I suppose you could use oven-proof ramekins to make individual cupcakes.

Reaction score
@DancingLady Yes it is true that is also one reason why I like using a glass pan so that I will not worry about the aluminum leaching in my baked goods. And that is for health reason too.:)

Reaction score
I decided to do a bit of looking for glass muffin/cupcake pans, but the entries I viewed showed other types, rather than glass. I did find glass cupcake cups... individual ones, similar to ramekins (small glass dishes), but specifically called cupcake cups. There are ceramic and porcelain pans, but I've yet to find glass ones.

Reaction score
You're right. I came across some on Amazon. They're clear glass. They come with lids. I'm thinking they are technically ramekins. They seem cool but I'm thinking they'd slide right off of my cookie sheet Im such a klutz. LOL Maybe placing them on a deeper pan. I'm wondering if it would affect the baking time though.

Reaction score
Hmmm.. I didn't think about that. They'd probably slide right off my cookies sheets too. Maybe place them in a shallow pan, like a biscuit or brownie pan, instead of a deeper cake pan? I don't know. I think for now I'll just stick to my regular muffin tins. At least with cupcake pans we can add an extra layer of protection with cupcake wrappers/baking cups.

Reaction score
For cakes i always use metal, for pies glass. I'm thinking of making brownies soon and using a crystal pan for that, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm worried about the thing getting stuck to the pan or something like that, so we will see.

Reaction score
When I was not into much baking I figured it was all about baking cakes in metal pans. In my near fifty years I had never ever once seen my mom bake cakes in glass ware. So it really came as a surprise when I stumbled on a baking dish in glass that looked like it was bought for the purpose of baking. I read that the baking time varies slightly when it comes to baking cakes in glass and used the suggestion recently and the bread turned out well.

I don't know I have a preference except that glass is easier to clean and return to a perfect look.

Reaction score
I love glassware :) It's so easy to clean, and it's wonderful to bake different kinds of breads in a glass pan! But I still prefer to use glassware for pies, never for cakes. I might try with brownies soon, but I heard that kind of things tend to stick to the glassware.

Reaction score
The pans I NEED right now are pans for making muffins and spring form pans and I don't think you find any of them in glass. In the absence of any kind of research, you can let me know if that's the case. I baked my banana and coconut bread in a glass pan.

Reaction score
Ah!!! So, did the banana bread button stick a little bit to the surface of the glass pan? I still have to try baking brownies in one :) And yeah, I doubt you will ever find muffin pans made in glass, never seen one of those o_O Try the metalic ones, the non stick ones are so yuck to me, because of the chemicals that might end up snaking into the muffins.

Ask a Question