What is your biggest problem when baking?

Reaction score
What would you say is your biggest problem when baking?

I've had issues where:

• i've started a cake but then realised i'm missing ingriendents
  • I've tried to ice a cake that's too warm
  • Tried to move a cake only to have it fall apart
  • Opened the oven and had my cake sink
These are just a few of the issues I've had!!!!

What would you say would be the one biggest problem you face when baking?

Reaction score
Well, for me it's the texture. Some cakes I've made from scratch don't have the texture or flavor they had previously, they are not consistently the same. Which is odd because I use the same recipe for those cakes, I guess I must have done something differently...

Reaction score
Paying the electric bill at the end of the month...

But seriously, I would say it's finding or creating recipes that fit the way I want to eat, yet still taste good. I am trying to eat gluten free and very low added sugar, so that means for the most part I have to come up with recipes on my own. I will sometimes look at recipes for some ideas, then thing of ways I can change it so I am using a fruit as a sweetener rather than sugar, or a mix of gluten free whole grain flour instead of wheat.

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have had is when I was younger and my daughter was a toddler, I made her a birthday cake and left the cakes in the pans overnight to cool. They next morning they were stuck in the pans and useless, I had to go buy her one, but have never made that mistake again.

Other small issues have been leaving a cake in the oven too long and attempting to ice my cake when it had not cooled enough.

Reaction score
Consistency. I would always make a cake and one time it would be really good, but the second time I make it it would not taste the same as the one before. I typically don't have issues with ingredients or anything like that but the darn consistency always gets me!

Oh and decorating. That's definitely not my forte :p

Reaction score
Paying the electric bill at the end of the month...

But seriously, I would say it's finding or creating recipes that fit the way I want to eat, yet still taste good. I am trying to eat gluten free and very low added sugar, so that means for the most part I have to come up with recipes on my own. I will sometimes look at recipes for some ideas, then thing of ways I can change it so I am using a fruit as a sweetener rather than sugar, or a mix of gluten free whole grain flour instead of wheat.

That opening line just cracked me up:):):). I am now getting started baking when you think about it so I can't say much since almost all of my previous cakes were box cakes. Many, many years ago I recall doing something from scratch and seeing "the line" which I still quietly dread happening now. It was that uncooked/unbaked line that made me unhappy and was sort of responsible for me not trying much more after that. With a box cake I never had that problem. The most that would happen with a box cake was it not rising enough.

Reaction score
The biggest problem? NO COUNTER SPACE. Small apartment leaves no room to leave stuff so you have to juggle ingredients, leave the door to the fridge open, AND use the top of the microwave for space. Limited space is my biggest drawback. I can mainly pull off everything else. Hah.

are-you-feeling-it_c_3051651.jpg

I'm in the Kitchen. LOL.

Reaction score
:D:D:DThat claustrophobia meme killed me.

I have same kitchen issues. What I also hate is that KNOWING it's a small kitchen, my partner will sometimes go "in" to get something. So annoying. LOLOL What I've ended up doing is taking our two foldable computer desks and using them in the kitchen. I wrap the in plastic wrap which I then have to remove. It's annoying as heck, but...this kitchen has more stove than counterspace.:(

Ask a Question