What is Your Favorite Heirloom Recipe?

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite heirloom recipe? Was it passed down from someone long ago and far away or did you find it in a long lost cookbook? Some of my favorite recipes were handed down from my great grandmother and some where treasures found in old church cookbooks at yard sales!

Reaction score
I was never raised to cook so I had to teach myself. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, has several recipes that I am constantly asking to share with me. One day, I hope to get them all in writing. I also plan on passing down some of my favorite recipes to my kids. One of my personal favorite recipes is chocolate sheet cake and that will most definitely be one the that they get.

I think traditions like passing down recipes are a lost art but I plan on doing it with my own kids for sure!

Reaction score
I was never raised to cook so I had to teach myself. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, has several recipes that I am constantly asking to share with me. One day, I hope to get them all in writing. I also plan on passing down some of my favorite recipes to my kids. One of my personal favorite recipes is chocolate sheet cake and that will most definitely be one the that they get.

I think traditions like passing down recipes are a lost art but I plan on doing it with my own kids for sure!

My mom didn't cook or bake. Everything that I learned to do was from my great grandmother, my grandparents, other people and books. These traditions are being lost, but they don't have to be! The memories they have are just as important as the food itself. I let my kids help whenever we make one so that they learn and they have their own special memories!

Reaction score
I also plan to let my kids in the kitchen with me as much as possible. If that's what they're used to, that's what they will like and they won't be afraid to take risks in the kitchen when they get older. My son is still a little too young and prefers to be held rather than help but I can't wait for the day when he can! Well, actually I can wait because I don't want him to grow too fast! ;)

Reaction score
I also plan to let my kids in the kitchen with me as much as possible. If that's what they're used to, that's what they will like and they won't be afraid to take risks in the kitchen when they get older. My son is still a little too young and prefers to be held rather than help but I can't wait for the day when he can! Well, actually I can wait because I don't want him to grow too fast! ;)

I'm lucky in that mine range from seven to sixteen. I let them start by putting ingredients in after I measured them and stirring things for me- easy things that I can control and won't get them hurt. Emileigh is 10 and can almost make a cake completely by herself! With supervision, of course!

Ask a Question