What is your favorite holiday and why?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My favorite holiday is a tie between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They both are practically the same things for me. Great food, and seeing my family all together. I love holidays. They just give me a great feeling, knowing that I will be seeing my children's faces light up, seeing my family, and eating delicious food! What's everyone's favorite and why?

Reaction score
I would have to say both Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite. I say this because from Thanksgiving until New Year's it feels like one big holiday season. The merchants sure want us to feel this way because practically start having Christmas specials within days after Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. It's like never ending holidays for about 5 weeks. I love the holiday season. I didn't even think of New Years in the mix, but you are completely right.

Reaction score
I would have to say the same Thanksgiving and Christmas because it such a great time of the year to be able to spend quality time with family and close friends. I really love this time of the year for that reason mainly because I get to see all of my family and close friends all at one time.

Reaction score
I cannot pick which holiday is my favorite. They are all great! Its fun to make different type of foods to go with each holiday, whether its making a special gravy for Thanksgiving, putting together a traditional breakfast for Christmas, or baking those extra special treats for Valentine's Day. I even love making spooky food for Halloween!

Reaction score
My favorite holiday is Christmas. I had a severely messed up childhood but I'm creating new traditions and memories with my daughter. That cancels out the painful memories from my own childhood.
Having a child is a clean slate, a chance to give them everything you never had or experienced. So Christmas is a big deal to me now and I try to make it special for my daughter.

Reaction score
My favorite holiday is Christmas because it is the best time of the year. It is a time of the year when you get to spend quality time with family and friends. Christmas is full of love, joy and happiness. There are many activities that I love doing around Christmas such as decorating the Christmas tree with ornaments, putting up lights, going to the mall to buy presents, gift wrapping, and my favorite cooking up a storm and lots of baking. Christmas will always be my favorite holiday and will always be. :p

Reaction score
Christmas, because of all the cookies we bake! Seriously, it gets to be a bigger and bigger production every year.

Reaction score
Definitely Halloween :) I love getting dressed up, decorating the house, carving pumpkins, scary movies! All of it!

Reaction score
My favorite holiday would definitely be Christmas. First of all, I love it because it's one of the longest holidays! :) But that's not it. I love how family members come home just to spend Christmas with the whole family. I love the thought of gathering together just to have the Christmas Eve Dinner. I love how everyone goes to mass together on Christmas Day. I love how complete and happy everything is.

Reaction score
Definitely Halloween :) I love getting dressed up, decorating the house, carving pumpkins, scary movies! All of it!

Halloween is my second favorite holiday for all the reasons you listed, and of course the huge bags of candy. I also love November 1, because the huge bags of candy are 50% off. Fun size Snickers bars. Woo hoo!

Reaction score
Halloween and Christmas.
Not so much for myself, but for kids.
I remember being a kid around those holidays and checking out all the awesome decorations, props and lights. Candy for Halloween and cookies and pies at Christmas!
So I decorate the **** out of the outside of my house for both. Five strands of icicle lights? Are you even trying?
A little sign in the front lawn that says Ghouls Beware with a witch on it...please.
If it doesn't send my electric bill for the holiday sky rocketing...I need more stuff.

Reaction score
I absolutely love Thanksgiving. I love having the whole family together, and it seems that without the tension of presents everyone gets along so much better. On top of that, you get the best meal of the entire year!

Of course, let's not forget that we also get an entire day of great football just thrown on there as the icing on the cake.

Reaction score
Christmas! I love shopping for the kids and baking treats for them and for neighbors and friends and family.

Reaction score
Halloween and Christmas.
Not so much for myself, but for kids.
I remember being a kid around those holidays and checking out all the awesome decorations, props and lights. Candy for Halloween and cookies and pies at Christmas!
So I decorate the **** out of the outside of my house for both. Five strands of icicle lights? Are you even trying?
A little sign in the front lawn that says Ghouls Beware with a witch on it...please.
If it doesn't send my electric bill for the holiday sky rocketing...I need more stuff.

That's pretty funny. I bet your house looks like the house from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Do news crews come by to film your house when you have it all decked out with a ton of decorations? There's a house in my neighborhood that looks like the Las Vegas strip at Christmas and I can only imaging their light bill.

Reaction score
I really enjoy the Fourth of July holiday. When my kids were growing up, we always took them to the fairgrounds to watch the fireworks display in the evening, and often packed up a picnic lunch of fried chicken, potato salad, BBQ beans, and hot dogs , for a long picnic at the beach before we went to the fireworks.
I like the summer weather for being able to enjoy outside celebrations like these, but now that I am older, and the kids are grown up and busy with their families, there is not so much to do on any of the holidays.
We usually just stay home and relax around the house, because it seems like there is just too much traffic, and the fireworks are not worth the effort to drive down and watch, so we just look at whatever the neighbors set off nearby.

Reaction score
I really enjoy the Fourth of July holiday. When my kids were growing up, we always took them to the fairgrounds to watch the fireworks display in the evening, and often packed up a picnic lunch of fried chicken, potato salad, BBQ beans, and hot dogs , for a long picnic at the beach before we went to the fireworks.
I like the summer weather for being able to enjoy outside celebrations like these, but now that I am older, and the kids are grown up and busy with their families, there is not so much to do on any of the holidays.
We usually just stay home and relax around the house, because it seems like there is just too much traffic, and the fireworks are not worth the effort to drive down and watch, so we just look at whatever the neighbors set off nearby.

Wow, that's a unique choice for a favorite holiday. But if you stay home on July 4th now and don't do the fireworks anymore, do you have a new favorite holiday?

Reaction score
I live in Georgia so it seems like it is warm/hot 7-8 months out of the year! By the time fall/winter finally comes around, I am so ready! All that heat gets old! I love that first chill in the air and seeing the leaves changing. I get excited to bring out my crock pot and dig up all them soup and chilli recipes! I have pumpkin spice candles everywhere! I open up all the windows in my home and let the cool breeze blow through. It is wonderful! I wear tons of scarves! ;) I would say October-January is the best time of the year. I can't really narrow it down to one favorite holiday within those months. I agree with Limcid because it feels like one big holiday season. October brings football season.. GO DAWGS! I love all the football parties, festivals and fairs. I love going to the pumpkin patch and picking out and carving pumpkins for Halloween. I love the costume parties and making "spooky" finger foods. I love all the yummy food that Thanksgiving and Christmas brings. I love watching my nieces and nephews open all their presents that we spoil them with. I love being surrounded by my family yelling the countdown as the year comes to a close and getting all those kisses and hugs and feeling so loved as I'm watching those last fireworks light up the sky :)

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My favorite holiday is a tie between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They both are practically the same things for me. Great food, and seeing my family all together. I love holidays. They just give me a great feeling, knowing that I will be seeing my children's faces light up, seeing my family, and eating delicious food! What's everyone's favorite and why?
sounds like I'm on board with everyone else...Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tend to favor Thanksgiving because it really is all about the food and there are no gifts to distract people from that, but then at Christmas I love giving and getting food gifts and trading great recipes!

Reaction score
When I was younger my favorite holiday was definitely Christmas, what child doesn't love Christmas? As I have gotten older, and Santa stopped bringing me piles of toys every year, I switched over to Halloween. I LOVE Halloween! I love helping the kids put together costumes, taking them out trick-or-treating, making treats, and carving pumpkins. I live in upstate NY and it is GORGEOUS during Autumn.

Ask a Question