What is Your Favorite Type of Flour to Bake With?

Reaction score
I've been playing around with using different types of flour to bake with recently. I've used chickpea flour, brown rice flour, and an all purpose, gluten free, baking flour by Wegman's brand. I like them all so far. I like the idea of using healthier alternatives to white flour, are there any others you've tried? Are certain flours better for certain recipes?

Reaction score
I had posted about getting high fiber in flours in another thread and someone said coconut flour, which I had never heard of...I have yet to try it, but I'm curious. I do recall her saying that whole wheat flour actually doesn't have that much fiber, so I was a little deterred since I try to use it in place of white flour to be a little healthier. I'm curious about what your experience is with rice flour. Never tried it!

Reaction score
I always used to have trouble with all-purpose gluten-free baking flour.. I bought gluten free baking powder to use as well, but whenever I made cakes / cupcakes etc, they just didn't want to rise, and thus came out a really odd texture. I've since discovered a self-raising gluten free flour, which has been a godsend. Asda (Walmart?) have a Free From range, and both plain and self raising flours are available at a very reasonable price. Thus gluten free alternatives to just about any cake are now a possibility. :D

When making healthier alternatives, I like to substitute plain flour for ground almonds (almond meal). It works much the same, but it's very light, so you don't need as much as you would normal flour. For example, I make a diabetic-friendly fruit cake, and only add 2oz of ground almonds for two 6" cakes, but it's quite a lot, just not very heavy.. :)

Reaction score
I have some wheat berries, and I like to grind a bit of those in the blender, until they are as fine as I can get them, and then I add about a quarter of a cup to my bread recipe. They are a lot better than the store bought ww flour, but I can't grind them fine enough to just use the fresh berries instead of the store stuff, which has lost a lot of its vitamins from sitting in the store.

Reaction score
I don't really have favorite flour. I like to try a lot of different kinds of flour. I do use a lot of the wheat and self rising flour though.

Reaction score
I usually just use the standard all purpose flour or whole wheat. Every once and a while I will mix things up a bit and I have used rice flour giving it a nice texture and taste. I plan to experiment a bit more on the flour I use.

Reaction score
I like using healthy alternatives to. I add corn meal, seed or nuts to brighten up my whole wheat. I over proof bread and use homemade yogurt for cakes so thing stay light and yummy.

Reaction score
I just use all purpose flour. My daughter and I both hate whole wheat bread so I don't make anything with whole wheat flour. There are other ways that I incorporate healthy foods into our diet. Baking is not one of them.

Reaction score
Generally I use all purpose flour but I have tried whole wheat four. I didn't care much for it. I would be interested in trying the rice flour, though. I love rice and think it might add a nice touch to my baking.

Reaction score
I keep all- purpose white lily flour and also self-rising white lily flour on hand. This brand is not very expensive and it has never disappointed me in my recipes. I highly recommend this brand.

Reaction score
I love baking with plain old wheat flour. The gluten inside of it allows for the baking product to stick together better than a gluten free flour
(due to the scientific properties of gluten) which results in products rising better in the oven, and when they cool off, it allows them to stay in one piece and not crumble. Its one of the few products that is cheap and usable, and for that, I am thankful!

Reaction score
I use Gold Medal all purpose flour. I guess it is because my mom has always used it so I use it. I have tried other flours but I still wind up goung back to gold medal. My sister will not use anything else either.

Reaction score
I am slowly trying to convert my family into wheat flour, I add it in with my white flour a little at a time and I am hoping to completely change to wheat flour soon. I haven't really tried any other kinds of flour, but I would like to try coconut flour. I hear it is amazing and very beneficial to your health.

Reaction score
Gold Medal is also my favorite flour brand as well. I've also had good luck with generic, store brand flour. I don't like wheat flour or gluten free flour. I have had problems with getting baked goods to rise and taste good when using wheat or gluten free flour. However, I do understand that a lot of people can't have gluten. I am fortunate that I am not one of them.

Reaction score
I use Wheat Montana white flour. It works well in my baking, especially breads.

Reaction score
I am only using an all purpose flour in my baking needs and I am already contented the way how it makes the texture of my baking goodies a perfect one. I had already proven its worth as a good ingredient for baking.

Reaction score
Self rising one, and for a healthier option I like the almond one :) Because lately I've been experiencing with gluten free recipes. I suspect gluten might be the main culprit of most of my health issues :)

Reaction score
I don't know that I have a favorite flour to bake with, but I have a least favorite! I always struggle with almond flour. Whenever I make stuff with it, things always turned out a weird consistency.

Reaction score
I don't know that I have a favourite as I am still relatively new to baking. What I will say is that I always gravitate towards recipes that call for all purpose flour and it's the easiest flour to find. At some point I want to try some of the healthier flours out there. I also always have some sort of whole wheat flour around.

Reaction score
I started using einkorn flour in August, and it's become my new favorite. My top gluten free single flour is sorghum, though I typiucally make a blend with sorghum, teff, amaranth, oat, tapioca starch, and arrowroot. Coconut is my least favorite flour, though I don't mind it as a small part of a mix. Everything I've tried with just coconut has had too eggy of a texture. Looking forward to trying chickpea and other bean flours.

Ask a Question