What Kind of Baker Are You?

Reaction score
Another poll here, just for fun!!

What kind of baker are you? Either the kind of baker your friends and family think you are, or the kind you think you are.

our-bakers.jpg

*Watch out, I can burn water!

*I can only bake pre-made items I have to stick in the oven

*I can bake some, but I HAVE to follow a recipe

*I can bake the easy basics - bread, cake, pie, pastry

*I can bake pretty well, better than average

*I'm a whiz in the kitchen, but I can't do everything

*All I need is a kitchen and supplies, and I can do anything

*I do it all, I just don't have the Chef status

*I'm a Chef, want to see my degree?

Reaction score
I think I'm a bit of a mix - I have to follow a recipe to begin with, but once I'm familiar with a recipe then I'm happy to adapt it. I guess I'm better than average but I wouldn't say I'm a whiz in the kitchen by any means! :D

Reaction score
I would have to say that these days, I'm in between easy basics and pretty well. Back when I had a larger kitchen and better health and budget, i was more adventurous. I'd try things, and if they didn't work out, I'd toss them and start over. Nowadays, I don't waste money like that, so I tend to stick to the tried and true classics that I've cooked before, and some new ones that I post here and elsewhere. Like Becky, once I've made something a few times, I don't mind deviating from the recipe somewhat, but I do still double check the important ingredients, to make sure I get those proportions correct.

Reaction score
I'm more adventurous when I have someone else baking with me! Usually my daughter because she is willing to try new recipes and she isn't easily intimidated! LOL! I also love baking with her and I become her helper! It's fun and I love spending time with her! :)

Reaction score
I would say "All I need is a kitchen and supplies", but that might be stretching it just a bit.
But I'm closer to that, than anything else.
I would say the same except you ought to look out for some major disasters. If it was just cooking this would probably apply. So back to baking and I have to say I would be all over the place with my answer. After being all over the place I would end up at I can bake the easy basics - bread, cake - FULL STOP.

Reaction score
I'd say that I'm closest to "*I can bake pretty well, better than average". There are things I can make with no problem at all, but there are things that still challenge me and that I am intimidated by! But I guess that's part of the fun, I think with baking we're always learning new recipes and techniques and that helps to keep us fresh!

Reaction score
The number 4 is the one that gets closer to me :) I can bake the basics, but so far I haven't tried many new and daring things. I'd love to when I move to the Netherlands, I plan to try a new recipe every time.

Reaction score
What kind of baker are you?....Well, I think that I can bake some, but I HAVE to follow a recipe...
This is what I think of...If there are simple and easy to make baking recipe I always try making it until I got it right. And if I am not yet satisfied I always innovate the recipe until it will pass the taste of my family my avid critics in my cooking and baking. :) Sometimes I also like to make recipes the one I can call my own.

Reaction score
I am a hobbyist, so I know some recipes by heart and turn to the recipe books for most. I have the knack for innovating on recipes and I manage to come through with my experiments. I tend to challenge myself to bake whatever bakeshop treats my family likes and I love to the idea that I can also make the same quality of bread, cakes, or pastries at home.

Reaction score
Maybe I fall under this category - *I can only bake pre-made items I have to stick in the oven.

I am not exactly a newbie in baking but I have to admit that I don't have a bona-fide experience in baking. Most of my stints in the oven is being a helper only. But in fairness to me, perhaps I am only lazy in doing the hard work but when I get my mind into it, I'm sure I can handle the chore very well. In fact, I have posted in another thread that I have concrete plans of baking a pie for Halloween as a token to the trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood.

Reaction score
I would like to think that I am getting a lot better at my baking, and maybe moving up the ladder so to speak, but I also know that I have quite a lot left to learn. I have never really had that much of a sweet tooth, especially when I was younger, so that has really hindered me a little bit, but I am getting better.

Reaction score
I think I'm at "I can bake the easy stuff," but I also have the hardest time sticking to a recipe. I'd much rather combine a couple (or more) recipes or add extra ingredients or something. I know I should stick to the original the first time around, just to see what it's supposed to turn out like, but I usually don't.

Reaction score
I am starting to think that I am the best baker in my family now my mom won't be able to bake having lost the full use of her hand after a stroke. I am still not where I want to be and I have not been doing much baking recently to sharpen my skills. I did bake some scones and got good reviews so I am taking the compliments and thinking of doing some baking this week. I am long way from trying the complicated cakes I would add, but I will continue with my simple delights.

Reaction score
I'd say I am probably somewhere inbetween "I'm a whiz in the kitchen, but I can't do everything" and "All I need is a kitchen and supplies". I know I don't know everything, and that is what makes baking all the funner. Never stop learning and never stop pleasing tastebuds.

Reaction score
I guess I'm somewhere between I can do the basics and better than average. If I get a recipe that is incomplete, I can still make it and adapt. I'm learning.

Reaction score
As I am relatively new to baking, I mostly follow the recipe but the more I bake the more I can do it without using a recipe and I might even come up with some own ideas.
However, I find baking with friends a pretty fun thing to do!

Ask a Question