What Kind of Recipes Are a "Hit-or-Miss"?

Reaction score
Could be for any number of reasons. I know I love to make this one cake that my cousin told me the recipe to. I almost always miss it, but the times I get it close to right are always so worth it! Mostly it's because I have to make three layers of sponge cake (each layer around 1,5 to 2,5cm perhaps? Not sure) and I never got this to be straight and fluffy like it should be. Also, the layers are supposed to be filled with a mix of whip cream and pastry cream, and I just misunderstood that the first time I tried it (did not whip the cream before mixing! Oh boy)

I have to this day had better results, but it's still pretty much hit-or-miss. Still worth the try every time, though.

What about you? Any such recipe? Or do you just ultimately give up?

Reaction score
I guess anything from scratch is going to be a hit or miss for me. I have only recently started baking from scratch. My vague recollections of baking from scratch "centuries" ago leaves me watching a cake that had an unbaked line through it. I just have that unpleasant memory and not wanting to fail at it again and again.

I later stumbled on box cakes and that's been my escape until joining this forum. So for right now it's going to be hit or miss with anything from scratch. I can safely say I had about one miss and a few close calls:).

Reaction score
I can't ever make a sponge cake turn out right so I just quit making them. They always turn out flat, so I guess I am not beating the eggs enough?

Reaction score
Uhm, I'd say that for me it would be the impossible cake! I tried it once and followed the instructions so closely, but still got the bad result! I won't give up on that one tho, I'll try it again soon. I think I know what I did wrong! Something about the ingredients I used for the ''flan''.

Ask a Question