What lesson did you learn from a baking disaster?

Reaction score
One Thanksgiving, I was baking brownies for a nephew. The recipe was easy, but I was in a hurry. So, I didn't keep an eye on them and even used a pan made for baking bread. Of course, the brownies burned and tasted terrible.

Lesson learned: Never rush through a baking project or use the wrong cooking container.

Reaction score
My first lesson learned happened to me in my early teen age days cooking cakes.

I was collecting recipes from many sources, including magazines with luring photos that pushed me to open the oven door every now and then excited to get my cake done as picture it.

Needless to say what happened with my sunken baking projects.

Reaction score
Mydigitalpoint, I do the same thing, getting excited and opening the oven too much, my husband gets on me for that! LOL

I learned so many things, but doomed to repeat a few mistakes out of habit... like opening the oven, or forgetting to set the timer and smelling that old familiar burn smell

Reaction score
The lesson I learned was that you can't play Grand Theft Auto while backing a cake. Needless to say that the cake turned out darker then expected.

Reaction score
The lesson I learned was that you can't play Grand Theft Auto while backing a cake. Needless to say that the cake turned out darker then expected.

Agreed, I once burned a pan of biscuits because I was playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and I've overcooked a chicken because I got sucked into Mass Effect.
It's a bad idea to play addictive games while baking because time flies when you're beating up gang members and stealing cash from hookers.

Reaction score
I once forgot to check on toast, I was making in the oven. It went way past burnt! I opened the oven, when I finally remembered, and the toast had fire on it!

I learned to buy a timer and use it. I also learned that a fire extinguisher is a must have for any kitchen.

Reaction score
The biggest lesson I've ever learned from a baking disaster was to remember to set the timer. I once put some chocolate chip cookies into the oven and forget to set the timer. I can't remember what I was doing. This happened way back when I was still a teen-ager. I think I was either reading or watching TV when I started to smell something burning. That was the end of my cookies.

Ask a Question