What Sort of Food Photo is more Appropriate or Enticing to you?

Reaction score
Have been having a debate as to what sort of photo on a 'bakery menu' would be more appropriate and/or enticing for customers to view. I would like your opinion as to what you think? Either from personal preference or experience displaying and selling baked goods? Do you prefer a more 'staged' look (pies delicately stacked on a platter) or a more natural and realistic feel (pies on a baking sheet, juices bubbling from the seams) etc.

I would VERY much value everyone's opinion!

Reaction score
Interesting. So images of the dish don't appeal to you? Just a written description?

I agree with @Becky. Clear ACCURATE written descriptions. The other thing to keep in mind is photographs set up expectations. So when the pastry box is opened, or a plate is delivered to the table and what is in the box/plate doesn’t look exactly like the photograph the customer is disappointed. Even children will note those differences. When my youngest son was about six years old we were in line at a fast food counter and he asked, “Mommy, how come the hamburger I get never looks good like the hamburger on the picture?”

One of the great things about a bakery is you have the opportunity to display your goods to entice your customers to purchase. This is something rare in food service. Cooked to order food cannot be displayed.

I’m Japanese. The funniest thing about Japanese restaurants is they have display windows in front with plastic models of the food they serve. But with a bakery you don’t have to use fake food.

Japanese fake food:D
040FD3DD-3F6F-4EAF-B44F-70A835C1DC8F.jpeg

Reaction score
I agree with @Becky. Clear ACCURATE written descriptions. The other thing to keep in mind is photographs set up expectations. So when the pastry box is opened, or a plate is delivered to the table and what is in the box/plate doesn’t look exactly like the photograph the customer is disappointed. Even children will note those differences. When my youngest son was about six years old we were in line at a fast food counter and he asked, “Mommy, how come the hamburger I get never looks good like the hamburger on the picture?”

One of the great things about a bakery is you have the opportunity to display your goods to entice your customers to purchase. This is something rare in food service. Cooked to order food cannot be displayed.

I’m Japanese. The funniest thing about Japanese restaurants is they have display windows in front with plastic models of the food they serve. But with a bakery you don’t have to use fake food.

Japanese fake food:D
View attachment 2264
Thank you! So if we're not talking about a storefront where goods can be displayed, would you still just have good descriptions of the food on the website and no images? Or would images be necessary on a website menu?

Reaction score
Thank you! So if we're not talking about a storefront where goods can be displayed, would you still just have good descriptions of the food on the website and no images? Or would images be necessary on a website menu?

Are you a cottage food baker? There’s a world of difference between operating a home based business and operating a retail bakery.

Reaction score
Are you a cottage food baker? There’s a world of difference between operating a home based business and operating a retail bakery.
YES! Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. Home-based (cottage) bakery start-up right now

Reaction score
YES! Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. Home-based (cottage) bakery start-up right now

OK I understand now. Most states have cottage food laws that regulate what foods can be prepared and sold through a home kitchen.

Some states require inspection of the kitchen. There’s also requirements for food safety handling training. All states require business licensing.

For public health reasons, most states prohibit the online sell of food produced in a home kitchen. Sale can only be done in person, so at farmer’s markets, festivals, etc. Some states will allow a food order to be taken online, but delivery must be made person to person. This ensures the sale is made locally. Food cannot be delivered through any type of third party delivery service.

You should contact your state and/or county health departments to find out what your cottage food laws are and start there.

Reaction score

Oh I see, when you said bakery menu I hadn't realised it was online! That does make a difference. I would go for more artistic shots if you can, you want the food to look as mouth watering as possible. Think Instagram-style photos. Good advice from @Norcalbaker59 above too :)

J13

Reaction score
Do you prefer a more 'staged' look (pies delicately stacked on a platter) or a more natural and realistic feel (pies on a baking sheet, juices bubbling from the seams) etc.
I am very into baked-goods photos (I have them for screen savers), and so I can very confidently answer this :cool:IMHO, the best, most tempting baked-goods photos are "realistic" ones. I especially want to see pies/cakes sliced—the rest of the cake/pie can be in the background to show off pretty decorations or lattice tops, but I'd be far more tempted to buy such if I saw the cake's layers and buttercream filling, or the oozing deliciousness of that pie filling. Ditto with muffins, biscuits, rolls and scones. I'm fine with seeing them whole in the background—in fact, I want to see the whole ones steaming in a basket...but I need one in the foreground opened and dripping with butter, or topped with jam (ahem-memberphoto-ahem). Even with cookies...they can be displayed by the dozen in the background, but in the foreground I want to see at least one cookie beside a glass of milk :p

Don't get me wrong here, I like the staged photos too...my screen savers include some stunningly beautiful photos of fancy fruit tarts on gold filigreed plates that you'd expect to see at a wedding, and artful cakes perfect for holiday celebrations. And if you're selling ones for weddings or holidays, those I'd stage as pretty as possible.

But for those not slated for weddings or celebrations...I think they should look real and tell a story: that slice of pie on a gingham napkin, or coffee cake on a 1930's diner plate, complete with a fresh cup of joe; or a fruit crumble in a mason jar that's being served at a picnic or a homemade donut with a bite in it beside a book and cup of tea. Those would make me, at least, want those baked goods...so much so that I'd either buy 'em...or bake them up myself :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am very into baked-goods photos (I have them for screen savers), and so I can very confidently answer this :cool:IMHO, the best, most tempting baked-goods photos are "realistic" ones. I especially want to see pies/cakes sliced—the rest of the cake/pie can be in the background to show off pretty decorations or lattice tops, but I'd be far more tempted to buy such if I saw the cake's layers and buttercream filling, or the oozing deliciousness of that pie filling. Ditto with muffins, biscuits, rolls and scones. I'm fine with seeing them whole in the background—in fact, I want to see the whole ones steaming in a basket...but I need one in the foreground opened and dripping with butter, or topped with jam (ahem-memberphoto-ahem). Even with cookies...they can be displayed by the dozen in the background, but in the foreground I want to see at least one cookie beside a glass of milk :p

Don't get me wrong here, I like the staged photos too...my screen savers include some stunningly beautiful photos of fancy fruit tarts on gold filigreed plates that you'd expect to see at a wedding, and artful cakes perfect for holiday celebrations. And if you're selling ones for weddings or holidays, those I'd stage as pretty as possible.

But for those not slated for weddings or celebrations...I think they should look real and tell a story: that slice of pie on a gingham napkin, or coffee cake on a 1930's diner plate, complete with a fresh cup of joe; or a fruit crumble in a mason jar that's being served at a picnic or a homemade donut with a bite in it beside a book and cup of tea. Those would make me, at least, want those baked goods...so much so that I'd either buy 'em...or bake them up myself :D
LOVE this right here - "I think they should look real and tell a story: that slice of pie on a gingham napkin, or coffee cake on a 1930's diner plate, complete with a fresh cup of joe; or a fruit crumble in a mason jar that's being served at a picnic or a homemade donut with a bite in it beside a book and cup of tea. "

A wonderfully described and painted picture of a very enticing food scene!

J13

Reaction score
LOVE this right here - "I think they should look real and tell a story: that slice of pie on a gingham napkin, or coffee cake on a 1930's diner plate, complete with a fresh cup of joe; or a fruit crumble in a mason jar that's being served at a picnic or a homemade donut with a bite in it beside a book and cup of tea. "

A wonderfully described and painted picture of a very enticing food scene!
[sweeps a bow]Very happy to help and to inspire. :D [/sweeps a bow] Dare I hope that we’ll get a preview of the photos you plan to post? I wish you all the best with this. What will your online bakery be called?

Ask a Question