What To Do With Flat Cookies

Reaction score
As with cakes, cookies can come out flat. What is your trick on how to fix this type of baking disaster? Mine is to break these cookies up and use them as toppings for ice cream. No one really cares if they've been crumbled up and taste good.

Flat cookies . . .
giner-cookie-disaster-pictures.jpg

Fix . . .
20100621-guerrilla4.jpg

Reaction score
Or you can just eat them anyway. Who cares if they are flat if they still taste good? Most people aren't that particular. However, if the cookies were for a bake sale or some special event, I would keep them for myself and bake another batch which hopefully would turn out better. I also like your idea of using crumbled cookies for an ice cream topping.

Reaction score
I also use flat cookies as a topping for ice cream! My mother taught me that trick! :) Another thing I do is I make ice cream sandwiches out of them. I spread ice cream between two flat cookies as a special ice cream sandwich treat. It works great since the cookies are flat the ice cream spreads easily.
My friend cuts flat cookies into "sticks" and let her kids dip the cookie stick in icing.
There are lots of fun options when your cookies come out flat! Just get creative and don't let the flattness get you down! :)

Reaction score
You can make ice cream sandwiches with some of them (if they're sort) and crumble the excess ones as toppings. :) I had this disaster with chocolate cookies that I made, they turned out pretty flat and soft, even though they were baked thoroughly. I made mini ice cream sandwiches and my cousin and brother absolutely loved it!

Reaction score
I was going to recommend the ice cream sandwiches but you could always put a type of cream filling between two if it isn't your thing. I never thought about the dipping though! That sounds wonderful. You can crumble them on top of cupcakes/other things with icing?

Reaction score
I would cut them into bars, then dip them in melted chocolate and top them with some chopped nuts. Nobody will know, plus they will look like you spent all day on them (well, you kind of did, by the time you do all of this, lol).

Just set up a makeshift double boiler by putting couple inches of water in a sauce pan, and bring it to a simmer. Then place a mixing bowl over it with chocolate (and perhaps a drop or two of vanilla or some other extract), and stir it until it melts.

You should probably have the cookies all cut and ready to go in advance too. And have some baking sheets lined with a cookie rack and or some parchment paper to rest the cookies on after they are dipped. Don't forget to have your chopped nuts ready to go as well too.

If they were still pliable (which I'm assuming they aren't by now) you perhaps could have also rolled them into tubes or cones and filled them with a cream cheese and powdered sugar filling and dipped the ends in mini chocolate chips.

Reaction score
I would just cut them up and eat them, often flat cookies are really lovely and crispy, so they can still taste good. If you're concerned about appearance then I think the ice cream idea is a great one. You could also use them as a topping for fruit and make a fruit crumble, for example apple and blackberry. Some cookies are meant to spread a lot, so maybe you just put them too close together on the tray when you cooked them.

Reaction score
A parfait is also good. In the States, we have a popular dessert that uses Nilla wafers layered with bananas and pudding. The great thing is that some people don't care if its wafers or if banana or vanilla pudding is used. It is easy for anyone to make and once it has rested for about an hour, it can be topped with more flat cookies or whipped cream.

Reaction score
I say eat them anyway. They will probably be a little dryer just get glass of milk and enjoy your cookies, even if they didn't turn out perfect.

Reaction score
I was going to recommend the ice cream sandwiches but you could always put a type of cream filling between two if it isn't your thing. I never thought about the dipping though! That sounds wonderful. You can crumble them on top of cupcakes/other things with icing?

That's what I have done before. I love when my 'mistakes' can be turned something else and I'll never turn down an ice cream sandwich!

I like the idea of crumbling them into ice cream, though. Same idea, but easier!

Reaction score
You could alway turn them in to a cookie crust for a cream pie. Get round cookies cutter and make circle the size or muffun tin. Line disposable cups with muffin paper or parchment paper. Place the "crust in the muffin liner at the bottom of the cup and cover wiith the cream pie filling of you choice.Top with whipped cream and chill. Then you could also use them to make parfaits.

Reaction score
Why can't you eat them away? We prepare things at home for our family members. No matter what it comes out as, we don't want to put it in some exhibition or competition. I suggest you to rather have them as it is.

Reaction score
If you are concerned about they way they look, you can make an ice cream cake out of them as well. You would create icecream sandwhiches, like normal, and then stack and frost them together into a cake.

Reaction score
Cookies never go to waste, whatever their appearance may be. I love some of these suggestions though; makes me want to have my cookies turn out flat more often. Of course, I could always spread them out in a thin layer on the baking sheet, haha.

One reason cookies spread out like that when they bake is because the oven is too hot or the cookies themselves were too warm when they were put into the oven. If you suspect your took a bit of a long time cutting your cookies out or if your kitchen is a tad too warm, a quick solution would be to just pop the tray into the refrigerator for half an hour.

Reaction score
I also use flat cookies as a topping for ice cream! My mother taught me that trick! :) Another thing I do is I make ice cream sandwiches out of them. I spread ice cream between two flat cookies as a special ice cream sandwich treat. It works great since the cookies are flat the ice cream spreads easily.
My friend cuts flat cookies into "sticks" and let her kids dip the cookie stick in icing.
There are lots of fun options when your cookies come out flat! Just get creative and don't let the flattness get you down! :)
I love your idea of cutting them into sticks and dipping in icing! what a great idea! My next batch of cookies I'm going to try it.

Ask a Question