What to do with my bread?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm stuck with my small business and don't really know what to do.

I'm a cottage food operator and I bake bread at home. My bread is unique, it is very tasty and healthy (I'm not boasting it is true). I have customers and 9/10 of all my clients love my product. I want to change something about my business because it brings little income.

One of the ways to scale my business is to rent a space in a commercial kitchen, hire an assistant, start selling my bread in small grocery stores, then bigger and bigger. This way is not what I really want, I see myself more as an entrepreneur than a baker. Another way is licensing my product and find bakeries who may be interested in it. This way looks more interesting but I still doubt full of it.

Are there any other options available to me? What else can I do with my bread?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I don't know what country you are in, but is it legal to sell bread online? If you have a loyal customer base right now, that would help you a great deal.

All you would need is to set up your website (or update it for selling online), have some of your regular customers give you their ratings on your website, and advertise online and around town.

You get the benefit you want from this...............continue working at home, while building up your business. This may be a slower way to do what you want to end up doing, but for what you are wanting at this time, it might be an option for you.

And all you need to do is have someone help with the orders, packing, and shipping. You will probably need someone to be running back and forth to the post office every day or every other day, unless you can create an account with a shipping company and schedule a daily pick up....but that may be a future option once you start getting more orders online.

With the world continuing to go online for ordering pretty much everything, I would think it's a definite option to think about.

Reaction score
You could look into baking for one specific client, like a restaurant or a hotel or something. That might be steadier orders. But it might be hard to get into that market, or do the volume needed by yourself.

Ask a Question