What type of bread do you usually prefer to buy?

Reaction score
If you are not baking your own bread, what type of bread do you usually prefer to buy? Is it bread that is already been sliced or the unsliced kind of bread?

Reaction score
I'm terrible at cutting unsliced bread - I tend to make it a giant mess!

I like buying fresh sourdough from our local bakery, and getting them to pre-slice the unsliced loaf into thick slices. That way I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds! Fresh, delicious bread, but no tedious slicing to do!

Reaction score
If you are not baking your own bread, what type of bread do you usually prefer to buy? Is it bread that is already been sliced or the unsliced kind of bread?

I have not been buying bread for a while but my husband keeps buying it. I try to stay away from it but when I see it I can't help but eat and eat. He normally buys what we call a 'salt bread' which is not salty in any way. I don't know I have a preference as I love bread period. Sometimes I have both sliced bread and loafs.

Reaction score
My favorite bread is Sourdough. I love...no....I LOOOOVE that stuff!

But I am diabetic now and not supposed to eat white bread anymore. I have to eat that icky stuff that has all that "grain" in it. BLECK!

I also LOVE Potato Bread! Mmmmmm.

I suppose the bread I buy most often right now, is Honey Wheat Butter Top bread. I really like Sara Lee brand....it tastes really good for wheat bread and it stays nice and soft for a long time.

Reaction score
there isn't a whole lot of selection at my grocery store,I usually buy sliced sandwich bread,but I've been staying away from it and baking my own bread,I do need to step it up and start making my own burger and hot dog buns too

Reaction score
I prefer to bake it myself. I have one small home brad maker and even though it is not like the one from the oven it is still better than those from the store. At least some of them. I am fully aware that bakeries use additives to make their bread stay fresh for longer period of time so even if I buy bread I prefer to buy from local bakeries and as small as I can find. Best choice are those that make bread only. I have one in my neighbourhood but the bread is so good when it is hot and fresh that i am able to eat it myself for breakfast and that is not OK.

Reaction score
I prefer to bake it myself. I have one small home brad maker and even though it is not like the one from the oven it is still better than those from the store. At least some of them. I am fully aware that bakeries use additives to make their bread stay fresh for longer period of time so even if I buy bread I prefer to buy from local bakeries and as small as I can find. Best choice are those that make bread only. I have one in my neighbourhood but the bread is so good when it is hot and fresh that i am able to eat it myself for breakfast and that is not OK.

There are private bread bakeries in my area (I live in a large city), but since they are small private places, they charge a LOT of money for a loaf of bread, and I am not able to afford that.

Im not supposed to eat bread anyway, because I am diabetic now. But I still do once in a while.

Reaction score
There are private bread bakeries in my area (I live in a large city), but since they are small private places, they charge a LOT of money for a loaf of bread, and I am not able to afford that.

Im not supposed to eat bread anyway, because I am diabetic now. But I still do once in a while.
That is really to bad and unfortunate. You can make it at home though. Here in Serbia we eat bread a lot so even though my city is not too big (400 thousand) home made bread is not more expensive in some places but in some it it. Basically it costs like 50 Euro cents. Around this number. Just for curiosity can you tell me where do you live and what is the price for bread ?

Reaction score
That is really to bad and unfortunate. You can make it at home though. Here in Serbia we eat bread a lot so even though my city is not too big (400 thousand) home made bread is not more expensive in some places but in some it it. Basically it costs like 50 Euro cents. Around this number. Just for curiosity can you tell me where do you live and what is the price for bread ?

Well bread you buy ready made in the food stores cost anywhere from $1.50 up to $5.00 (US currency) per loaf.
The cheap all white bread that is not a brand name is the cheapest, the brand names are more expensive, and then the "gourmet" breads are the highest priced.

Bread you get from a private bread bakery around here cost anywhere from $4.00 to $30.00 per loaf, depending on size and what kind of bread it is. The small, white loaves are the cheapest. Something like Rye or Oat bread would more expensive. Then breads like Barley or all grain breads would be the most expensive.

I like the brand name called Sara Lee here in the states. The bread is soft and doesn't go moldy after a couple of weeks, it stays fresh for a long time.
0072945601360_CF_hyvee1_default_large.jpeg

Reaction score
I've been buying Sara Lee since the makers of Twinkies went out of business and evidently they were the makers of Merita bread ,either that or the grocery store I go to has quit carrying it and the tater chips that I liked so much disappeared at the same time,I live in east Tennessee and loved the Moores BBQ tater chips,I am going to get a mandolin and a deep fryer and see if I can't make some,of course I'm suppose to stay away from fried food

surely some good chips a couple of times a month isn't to bad ? is it ? :)

ooooh and i can use some heart healthy oil to fry them in ,what is a good healthy oil to use ? if there is such a thing ,I've been using Mazola corn or canola oil,the ones that say heart healthy and say cholesterol free ,hmmm sounds like a good idea for a thread,doesn't it ?

Ask a Question