What up with fruitcakes?

Reaction score
My mother made the best fruitcake, for the holidays, when I was young. It had the standard candied cherries and nuts, and the cake, surrounding the "embeds", was light.

She didn't make the more common "dark" fruitcakes and did not soak them in brandy.

It was and adulthood before I discovering that most people hate stand them. I as in my 20's hearing complaints about their weight and consistency.

Why do people dislike fruitcakes so much?

Reaction score
Maybe your mother had a good recipe which resulted in great tasting fruitcake. Most fruitcakes taste terrible. They're dry and hard. I don't like candied cherries, either. If fruitcake tasted better and wasn't so hard, maybe more people would like it.

Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I took one bite of a store bought fruitcake, and I thought I was going to hurl. It was hard, and the fruit inside tasted like spongy plastic. Maybe people hate store bought fruitcake because it is not good, but your mom's homemade recipe could have been better. Maybe that is how fruitcake is supposed to be.

Reaction score
I finally tried fruitcake back in 2012. For years, I had heard bad things about fruitcake and it's just really had a pretty bad reputation. I finally tried it and it wasn't nasty but it wasn't all that great either. It was store bought so maybe homemade would be better.

Reaction score
I love fruitcake. It was a store brand fruitcake that was just delicious that I could only find at an liquid wholesale store in the DMV area and that is the only store brought kind I ate. My aunt made fruitcake that was even better. I've never tasted a nasty fruitcake and I never really want to. Maybe it's just a thing for eccentric taste buds like caviar (yuck).

Reaction score
I love fruitcake, especially a really rich cake like you have at Christmas. I think people who dislike fruit cake generally have one or two ingredients they dislike, for example, my sister hates cherries so so avoids fruit cake, and my mum hates candied peel. I just make my fruitcakes without those things in if they're going to be having some and then everyone's happy. Store bought fruit cake can sometimes be dry, but home made is divine, especially if you boil and soak the fruit first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads