What utensils work best in the microwave?

Reaction score
I've been trying my hand at baking in the microwave. So far I've only used microwave proof troughs and bowls for this and the result was not what I'd want again! Would thin glass be a better option? What are the materials that would work both in the cake and the microwave's favor?

Reaction score
Glass will work and it does have some advantages, such as not melting or staining. Plus it also doesn't leech out dangerous chemicals when heated, like some plastics do. The biggest drawback with glass is that it gets very very hot - making it hard to handle when taking it out of the microwave. Also, some glass will shatter if it changes temperature abruptly - such as placing a hot bowl on a cold counter.

I've bought some microwave specific plastic bowls and trays, but they still tend to melt - especially the ones meant for bacon. That can't be healthy eating stuff off of melting plastic.

Reaction score
Anything thats not Aluminum will work in a microwave without burning the house down.

Reaction score
Baking in Microsafe glass in the oven works well. I have tried my hand at baking a simple cake and it worked well.
I prefer to bake in the oven though at least you get a nice crust that no matter what you use the microwave will not give you that.

Reaction score
Glass, I use everything glass in the microwave without fear :) I am actually planning to go very daring this weekened and bake some brownies in a glass pan. Yup, I got the info from another wed site (posted here a while ago that question but got no real answer), so yes, am finally going to try it! According to those folks I only have to decrease temp minus 25 degrees.

Ask a Question