What was your worst baking disaster?

Reaction score
I remember when I first started baking at a young age, I would always make mistakes, and I couldn't fixed those mistakes, because no one in my family made baked goods. However, I researched on the Internet and corrected my mishaps, and now, I'm a better baker. Meanwhile, I still make a lot of mistakes from time to time, some of which turn into disasters. As an example, I made awful-tasting pretzels for a bake sale just last year. I used the same recipe I had always used, but had to double-up the ingredients to make more pretzels. Unfortunately, I forgot I had to double-up on water, so I soaked my pretzel dough in very concentrated baking soda water. During the bake sale, no one bought my pretzels, and after I tasted the disasters, I knew why. Hopefully, I won't be making the same mistake in the future! How about you? What was your worst baking disaster?

Reaction score
I think my worst baking disaster would have to be the first time i was trying to make a pizza dough for my daughter; it was a total mess. The dough was not edible because it was just too tough and my daughter was so disappointed; i felt really bad at the time.

Reaction score
I believe I was trying to make cookies at the time, I put the cookie tray inside the oven and for some reason the cookie tray flipped while in the oven and I didn't know about it. I was glad the smoke detectors didn't work at that time because the oven was just blowing out thick smoke, luckily there was no fire and I was able to fix the problem within minutes.

Reaction score
OMG, 1 month ago I mistakenly set my apartment kitchen on fire cooking for a "pot luck". (True.) No one was hurt. Lots of damage. After being temporarily relocated to another apartment complex during repairs, I just moved back home 2 days ago...but have no furniture (yet). Thankfully I have Renters Insurance which has covered the building structure and major appliances. When will all the paperwork be completed? That's questionable. FYI, I moved into this brand new apartment complex just 18 days before this "pot luck" dinner. On the bright side, all the neighbors recognize me, know my name and have met each other. (LOL)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was once baking dinner rolls and I forgot to add yeast to the dough, so I ended up with hard, dry, flat hockey pucks. I've also burned my share of cookies in the past.

Reaction score
OMG, 1 month ago I mistakenly set my apartment kitchen on fire cooking for a "pot luck". (True.) No one was hurt. Lots of damage. After being temporarily relocated to another apartment complex during repairs, I just moved back home 2 days ago...but have no furniture (yet). Thankfully I have Renters Insurance which has covered the building structure and major appliances. When will all the paperwork be completed? That's questionable. FYI, I moved into this brand new apartment complex just 18 days before this "pot luck" dinner. On the bright side, all the neighbors recognize me, know my name and have met each other. (LOL)

You win! I doubt that anyone can top that story. I'm surprised your building was so cool about it. If I set my kitchen on fire, my landlord would yell at me in his native language and evict me.

Ask a Question