What went wrong ??

Reaction score
My grandson and I decided to bake some cookies for Christmas. I have two favorite recipes . One is Whipped Shortbread ( Best of Bridge ) and Chippits Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Our Shortbread cookies fell apart on the tray! They were dry and flat, and totally a failure.

We then tried the Chocolate Chip and they melted to flat little dics, no body or shape.

Then I noticed I was using Bread Flour .

Does this have something to do with our results??

What is the best flour to use for cakes and cookies and pie crusts?

Help us out so we can try again.

Thanks, DWL56

Reaction score
I believe it has something to do with your flour. Shortbread is essentially just water, butter, flour and sugar. Are these the ingredients you used? You should use all purpose flour for cookies.

Reaction score
It's definitely the flour. You would want to use all-purpose flour for cookies and stuff. And for things like chocolate chips, it may not be a bad idea to stick it in the fridge for a little bit (though it's not necessary).

Reaction score
Agreed, you shouldn't use bread flour for cookies. If you use all purpose flour, they should turn out fine.

Ask a Question