What's the best way to have bread rolls ready to be baked in the morning?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's rare for me to make bread, but when I do it's for the afternoon because it's the time I can finish it if I start in the morning, around 10:00 and 11:00. My personal problem is that most of the time, I only eat together with my family in the morning.

I was thinking of trying to make the bread dough, make the rolls and let them in the fridge so in the next day morning, I can bake them and have fresh bread in the morning. My only concern is that the rolls won't stay in shape in the fridge, they might "sink". I could also try freezing the dough instead of putting in the fridge, but I'm not sure if it will change the taste or texture.

What are your suggestions?

Note: I cannot wake up super early because my family is asleep and I usually make wholemeal bread.

Thank you and best regards,
BigFarofa

Reaction score
Wow you have given lots of restrictions. You need to widen your horizons on how to accomplish your goal.

The easiest way to thread the needle through all of your rules and restrictions is to bake the rolls the night before. Otherwise you need to relax some rigidity.

Yes, making the dough the evening before, then shaping (forming rolls), and leaving them overnight in the fridge is possible. Cover the formed rolls loosely with plastic to avoid drying.

If you can, wait for it, get up one hour early, and give the rolls 45 minutes - 1 hour to come to room temperature, this will get a bit of rise. If you absolutely cannot do this (why not?) then bake them straight from the fridge.

Ask a Question