What's the most you've paid for a school field trip?

Reaction score
My son's 2nd grade class is going on a trip to Virginia Beach. They will visit a museum, eat lunch, and walk on the beach. The cost is $30, which is outrageous to me. This is the most expensive trip they have ever had(trips are normally around $7)and I wonder in other states are trips this high? We live in Virginia by the way but the Beach is about 2 hours away.

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable to me, because I am figuring the museum admission is probably about $10-$15 plus there is the cost of transportation. Will the lunch be provided to them or do they have to bring their own? I do not have children but when I was in elementary and middle school (about 15 years ago). Our trips ranged from $15-$130 and most fell into the $25-$30 range. We would go to museums, exhibits, a large end of the year trip. I grew up in a city in the Northeast section of the U.S. I think the price sounds reasonable.

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have paid for a field trip. I am out of school and I don't have children. I do remmber we a a few overnight field trips , those ranged from $85.00 - $275.00 .They were special evente and knew well in advance so that payments could be made thoughout the year and was not due all at once.

Reaction score
We had school trips that were a lot more expensive than that. While they tried to keep costs low, often times it was the admission costs that would get us. So even with school/group discounts, sometimes it would still cost at least $30 per person, and then the lunch, travel, chaperone costs still had to be figured in.

Reaction score
The most I've paid for a school trip for my daughter is $15. One year in junior high, they wanted me to pay $52 to send her to see a drama in a theater.
I'm a single mom with bills so $52 seems excessive to me for a field trip. When I was a kid, schools were more sensitive to parents' financial situations and used to send students on cheap field trips. Nowadays they think all parents are rich. The most expensive field trip my daughter's junior high did was over $100 to go to a theme park.
Hell to the no.

Ask a Question