What's your biggest kitchen disaster?

Reaction score
Anyone have any horror stories from when something went horribly wrong in the kitchen? I can't say I've had any massive disasters to date, but that's mostly because I'm hovering near the kitchen like a hawk whenever I make something.

A while after we moved into one house, my sister was cooking and managed to start a grease fire. It melted the vent fan over the stove.

Reaction score
Anyone have any horror stories from when something went horribly wrong in the kitchen? I can't say I've had any massive disasters to date, but that's mostly because I'm hovering near the kitchen like a hawk whenever I make something.

A while after we moved into one house, my sister was cooking and managed to start a grease fire. It melted the vent fan over the stove.

Ouch! That would be harsh!

I haven't ever had anything too serious. I've messed up a meal or two and used to ALWAYS manage to burn the last tray of cookies when I was younger. It's not a baking accident but last week I made my husband a chocolate cream pie for his birthday treat and we not only had to eat it with a spoon because the filling didn't set properly, it had lumps in it. I must not have stirred as consistently as I should have! On top of all that I'd used a coarser granulated sugar in the graham crackers crust and you could feel the granules as you chewed! The only part that was just right was the whipped cream topping! Somehow we managed to eat it (and enjoy it!) anyway! :)

Reaction score
Once I was making bread rolls, which I've done a million times, but I forgot the yeast and ended up with messed up tortillas.
I also used to put cookies on the top oven rack and then wonder why the top got burned and the bottom was raw.

Reaction score
I seem to have a kitchen disaster a least one day of the week lol! I have a tendency to put something on the stove and then get so occupied with something else and will forget I was cooking something half the time which I know is so bad! I'm getting better though. I need to invest in one of those timers so it forces me to remember to get to the stove in time.

Reaction score
I haven't had anything too serious happen, but a friend of mine left her beef burgers under the grill while she went upstairs.They eventually caught fire! The next thing she knew, three firemen turned up to put out a small kitchen fire. Luckily, a neighbour had seen the thick smoke coming out of the kitchen window, and rang the fire brigade!

Reaction score

I just had my first disaster. I was making a caramel sauce and it has to boil until it turns a medium brown color...well, I stepped away (to my computer) to look up another recipe, after a couple of minutes, I realized I didn't hear the mixture boiling so I went into the kitchen to find it full of smoke! I ran to take the pot off the burner, opened all windows and put on all fans. Needless to stay, I had to start all over again..this time I didn't leave the kitchen! Now I have a pot with rock hard burnt "candy" in it....I have it sitting in hot water, so we'll see if I can salvage that pot!

Reaction score
She has improved a great deal, but my sister used to be a terrible cook and was constantly causing kitchen disasters. Started at least three grease or paper towel/potholder near the burner fires one year. Another year, she made a series of brownie batches, each missing a key ingredient... brownies without the oil. Brownies without the egg. Brownies without the sugar. And finally brownies without the chocolate. (Yes, really.)
Her cakes used to be inedible, with clumps of baking powder, salt, or discovered eggshells. I'm happy to report that's only an occasional problem now.

Reaction score
I just had my first disaster. I was making a caramel sauce and it has to boil until it turns a medium brown color...well, I stepped away (to my computer) to look up another recipe, after a couple of minutes, I realized I didn't hear the mixture boiling so I went into the kitchen to find it full of smoke! I ran to take the pot off the burner, opened all windows and put on all fans. Needless to stay, I had to start all over again..this time I didn't leave the kitchen! Now I have a pot with rock hard burnt "candy" in it....I have it sitting in hot water, so we'll see if I can salvage that pot!

Caramel sauce is a delicate thing that you have to monitor constantly. There is no stepping away when you're dealing with hot sugar. You have to watch it like a hawk.
At least you learned from the experience and hopefully you can salvage the pot.

Reaction score
My horror story was not the fault of my own, but of a very young puppy. The puppy escaped from her day fence area while we were at work and got to the pantry. I literally had flour, cocoa, and coffee all over every inch of the kitchen. It took us 2 days to clean and I cried my eyes out.

Reaction score
When I was just starting to get into cooking and baking (I was 16 or so) I tried to make a cheese pie, but sadly I forgot to add the sugar to the pie! So I got a salty cream cheese pie, lol. It was a bit raw too, the cheese, but my dad gladly ate it, lol. Glad I didn't give up tho, now I can make the tastiest pies ever...

Ask a Question