When do you bake with olive oil?

Reaction score
I have been on an olive oil using frenzy for the last 3 years or so and use it to bake many items. From chicken, to baked french fries, and even cakes, olive oil is substituted for vegetable oil most of the time. I would even use it for deep frying if it was not so expensive. What do you bake with olive oil?

Reaction score
When I'm going to make certain breads :) I use olive oil. I never use it for frying tho, mostly because of the price and because it burns really fast. Better use coconut oil for that. I once baked a carrot cake using olive oil instead of other vegetable oil... it as good :) Feels like a healthier option!

Reaction score
I used to bake my box cakes with olive oil. I generally don't bake my meats with oil but if I had to I would probably use olive oil as well. At one point olive was the only oil I would use and then like with almost everything I heard it was overrated and that canola oil was being recommended for use. It still remains expensive and I still always have it in the cupboard but I have canola oil as well.

Reaction score
I also heard that canola oil is good for you, so I have buying that in place of vegetable oil as it is about the same price. I do love the flavor profile of olive oil and that is what I use to coat meat and veggies before baking or roasting. Olive oil is good as long as you use it sparingly. I found a huge bottle of it at Costco for a good price.

Reaction score
I also heard that canola oil is good for you, so I have buying that in place of vegetable oil as it is about the same price. I do love the flavor profile of olive oil and that is what I use to coat meat and veggies before baking or roasting. Olive oil is good as long as you use it sparingly. I found a huge bottle of it at Costco for a good price.

When I used to travel often I used to always buy olive oil and post it home. It was much cheaper in the US. I don't do much shopping now; my husband does and he mostly buys canola oil.I am always baking with a sauce of some sort so I don't use any oil.

Reaction score
Oh I thought you said bake as in baking cookies or whatever...haha oops!

I've never used olive oil in baking sweets or desserts or anything (I think the olive flavor might tip it off) but I do use olive oil a lot in everything else I make. I'm trying to transition into using coconut oil but I'm afraid of the overwhelming scent/taste of coconut in my food.

Reaction score
Olive oil is only for savories. I don't like it with anything that could be considered sweet. I use it with garbanzo bean "bread" as well as other things like chicken and one times potato dishes.

Reaction score
I dont tend to use oils for my baked sweets but for any moment I need oil I go with EVOO. Don't really fry much but if I did I probably use it for that too. I use EVOO in my wholewheat pancakes and they come out yummy.

Reaction score
I use vegetable oil and olive oil as sometimes I find olive oil a bit over powering. It's definitely healthier than too much butter, but I try to mix all the oils and fats together and make sure it's not too heavy. I use it for pancakes as I use wholemeal flour which can take the weight of the oil.

Reaction score
I have been on an olive oil using frenzy for the last 3 years or so and use it to bake many items. From chicken, to baked french fries, and even cakes, olive oil is substituted for vegetable oil most of the time. I would even use it for deep frying if it was not so expensive. What do you bake with olive oil?
I did for the first time this Christmas. It is a really great way of avoiding having dairy in something for me.
We found a recipe for a Chocolate Olive Oil Cake which was out of this world. I would not recommend extra virgin olive oil because the extra virgin side of it did come through, but second time around when we used the standard cheapest olive oil, the chocolate taste was really there.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551

Not needing to be gluten free we made it with self raising flour (all purpose flour) first time around, and used a mixture of ground almonds and self raising second time around. We preferred the version with ground almonds. I could not help thinking that if you really wanted to make this cake super chocolate, that either chocolate chips/chunks or even melted chocolate added to the batter (it is a quite liquid batter but it works fine) at the last minute would make for an excellent addition. Serve with dairy free cream (numerous ones available on the market but the oat cream worked best because it was nearest to a whipped cream...) or make your own really thick cashew nut cream to serve with it.

Reaction score
That is really good to know about not using extra virgin olive oil. I like the flavor of it, but not in baked goods. It really never occurred to me to use regular olive oil. I can save the expensive stuff for cooking with. I have to try this cake since it sounds so good.

Ask a Question