When is bread not a bread?

Reaction score
I've been pondering over banana bread lately, and have concluded that I consider it a cake. Some favorite breads of mine can be quite sweet, though, such as panettone, or ensaymadas. I couldn't think of those as anything but breads.

If it's not the level of sweetness or decoration (because some types of Philippine ensaymada are just covered with sweet butter, cheese, and some variations such as yema, caramel, chocolate, or sweet purple yam--total toothache, still technically a bread though!) It isn't yeast, since banana bread and Irish soda bread don't use yeast.

What do you think? Is it just an, "I'll know it when I eat it" sort of classification?

Reaction score
For me, it comes down to texture. When the texture is dense to the point where the air pockets are tiny, then it's more of a cake or muffin, to me. I don't consider banana bread to be bread.

Ask a Question