When is brown burnt

Reaction score
Just backed a pecan biscotti pie shell
And just like nuts do, it when from “ just another minute” to .... you know the drill
(I’d post a pic if I could find how....)
NTL
I think I’m just on the safe “toasted” side, not burnt ( and I’d i have to, although I’d rather not, I can start over...),but it still leaves the question: how do you know when than brown (somewhat more than “just lightly brown”, in the thinner places) is burnt ?!

Reaction score
Just backed a pecan biscotti pie shell
And just like nuts do, it when from “ just another minute” to .... you know the drill
(I’d post a pic if I could find how....)
NTL
I think I’m just on the safe “toasted” side, not burnt ( and I’d i have to, although I’d rather not, I can start over...),but it still leaves the question: how do you know when than brown (somewhat more than “just lightly brown”, in the thinner places) is burnt ?!

Unfortunately, the color won’t tell you whether or not it reached the point of bitterness. The only way to tell is to taste it.

Nuts are always an unpredictable, unknown variable to begin with.

With almonds, too much moisture during cultivation will cause the nut to turn bitter when it is been perfectly roasted. And there’s absolutely no way to tell if an almond was damaged during cultivation.

With all other nuts, pecans included, temperature and light quickly oxidizes the unsaturated oils. So if the nuts had not been stored properly during packaging and transit, freshly purchased nuts could already be in the process of oxidizing. And then when toasted the bitterness comes out.

So if you purchased nuts that were already beginning to oxidize and you overbake them they will be bitter.

Just for future reference if you ever slightly over bake anything, a tart shell, pie crust, nuts, cookies, pastry, really just about anything baked, put it in the freezer immediately. And leave it there until it is completely cool. The faster you can drop the temperature to stop the baking the better chance of saving something that has been overly baked.

Ask a Question