Where do you purchase your baking ingredients?

Reaction score
I like to purchase my ingredients like baking powder, flour and cocoa, milks and butters at Trader Joes. I like their selections, quality and prices. There are also several of their stores around me. What about you? Where do you purchase your baking ingredients?

Reaction score
I still use good old Walmart. They not only have one large baking aisle, but they also have another seasonal baking display that has the special seasonal ingredients, like the ingredients to make fruitcake or gingerbread.

Reaction score
The plain old grocery store. There are a couple in town, Soriana and Mega, that carry a larger selection of imported items, so I frequent those.

I have to go to Soriana to buy canned pineapple because they carry imported Dole pineapple. You pay more but it's the only brand of pineapple (or any fruit for that matter) I can find here that isn't packed in syrup.

I wish it had access to Trader Joes. When I'm in the US I quite like the Fresh Market but they are a bit pricy.

Reaction score
Trader Joes is a wonderful grocer, but I am a cheapskate. So, I get my baking goods from a variety of places. They include Safeway, Walgreen's and The Dollar Tree.

Normally, I look for sales and what the store offers. This helps me stay within my budget.

Reaction score
I like Trader Joes, and they do often have good prices on many of their products. However I prefer to go to their sister store - Aldi's, or some other discount grocer such as Save-A-Lot to get basic baking supplies. I don't mind using off brand products for very basic things such as flour or sugar and such.

The only thing I will caution though is sometimes the discount stores will arbitrarily charge way more for a certain item here or there. For example, the other day I went into Save-A-Lot for some cooking spray and they wanted like $4 for a small can. I could get a large can for $1 - $1.50 elsewhere.

Reaction score
Grocery store. We don't have Trader Joes here. I've heard of them but we only have stores like Safeway, Albertsons, Costco and Food Co-ops. If I think I can use
all of the item w/in a year I will buy the bigger sizes at Costco - but I don't bake enough - so some have gone to waste!
So, now I mostly just get them at the grocery store.

Reaction score
I buy my baking ingredients from grocery stores. The best chain is Wegman's, which started here in Upstate New York and has since spread to several states across the Northeast. I don't trust ingredients bought from dollar stores. Sometimes, they don't taste very good.

Reaction score
I just buy them at Walmart, Joyner's (locally-owned grocery store) or Food Lion. They seem just fine to me. I'll buy certain things from dollar stores, but only flour, sugar, etc. I like to buy the better extracts and such.

Reaction score
I am the worst at deciding where to purchase my baking goods. I once spent probably well over $200 for this cake. I don't mind it was for my best friend and sister, but still; I am sure if I shopped smarter I would have done it for less. It is supposed to be a football field; this was also my first cake from scratch.
I have shopped at wauldbaums and Michaels, but it was always last minute. I need to start planning to purchase stuff at Wal-Mart or other places, where stuff is cheaper.

Attachments

• 66257_439472326687_7344276_n.jpg
    66257_439472326687_7344276_n.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 795
Reaction score
I like the idea of getting ingredients at organic and eco-friendly places because I know it's healthier but some of those places are so expensive and that's not always financially available to me, so usually just get my ingredients at the local grocery store. This might not be high-quality stuff but it works, and my cakes pies and goodies still come out yummy. The grocery store I like to go to is actually family-owned, so I don't mind giving them my business anyway.

Reaction score
I get most of my baking ingredients from .... my garden. If I can't get it there I get it at my local food coop which has organic. I'm extremely picky about making sure nothing is genetically modified, and organic.

My yard has the cheapest prices!!!!

Reaction score
I buy anything and everything I can, within reason, at the Dollar Tree. I buy my extracts from Wal-Mart or Food City. For the most part, DT carries everything.

Reaction score
I like buying a lot of things at Dollar Tree, too. I bought some sprinkles there recently. You really can't beat a dollar!

Reaction score
There's no Trader Joes in where I live so I just buy ingredients at our local grocery store. They don't have a full shelf of baking ingredients so I just buy some fancy ingredients in baking stores near us. It's usually more expensive there but if there's a special occasion we really go there to buy some fancy sprinkles and cupcake holders.

Reaction score
I like buying a lot of things at Dollar Tree, too. I bought some sprinkles there recently. You really can't beat a dollar!

Wow, I've never really bought food from Dollar Tree before. I find that a lot of their items at mine are just convenience items in smaller boxes, to the price isn't really worth it, even at a dollar. As in, you can buy a half-size for a dollar at Dollar Tree, but the full size might only be $1.25 at a different store, so I'm usually extra careful. I don't often look through the food because of that, but maybe I'm missing out then!

Reaction score
For sugar and flour, I like to get mine at Costco; I buy in bulk and save some money. For other ingredients, I go to Trader Joes or QFC. QFC is a last resort though because their prices are ridiculously high on most things.

Reaction score
I have been actually getting a lot of my staples from Amazon. They have an autoship program where you get a discount on items, and you can cancel a item anytime (unless it's in shipment) and change the frequency. Their selection is growing by the day and they have a fair amount of organic and NON GMO foods.

And each delivery is packed in a cat toy!

Reaction score
I usually buy most of my groceries and baking supplies at Kroger, ince it is close and therefore, easy to get to; plus they have great sales. I like Dollar Tree really well also, and you can't beat most of their prices; but I don't have one close to me, and it is not worth the trip out there for just a few items. When something takes me close to the Dollar Tree, then I usually stop there.

I am also starting to buy more of my food items on Amazon. You not only can find great deals on there, but the shipping is free, and gets there in just 2 days; so unless it is something that I need right away, Amazon is wonderful.
I have the Prime membership, and that is worth the cost, if you order much from there at all.

Reaction score
I purchase most of my baking supplies from Trader Joes because there is a store located about 10 minutes away from my apartment building so it is very convenient and I like the selection and think the prices are reasonable. Sometimes I purchase baking ingredients from specialty stores, such as the local ones in my city or Williams- Sonoma but that can get awfully expensive so I tend to stick to TJs.

Reaction score
I purchase the vast majority of my baking supplies at Whole Foods. I make mostly vegan treats, and even if its not vegan I try to make them with as much organic/natural ingredients as possible. Whole Foods as an excellent selection of organic foods, so they're my go too. I do sometimes go to Trader Joes for baking supplies, since on some fronts they're cheaper then Whole foods. Though, when it comes to Chocolate Chip Cookies, I will ALWAYS use a bag of Nestle Toll House chocolate chips from the local Acme, haha.

Ask a Question