Where do you purchase your baking ingredients?

Reaction score
I usually got to Trader Joes or a super market called "Winco" Usually everything is pretty cheap at Winco and they have a section when you can bag your own spices or flour so you can buy as much as you need, instead of buying an entire bag of flour.

Reaction score
I was a bit confused by the title of this thread, I'll admit. Doesn't everyone just get their baking supplies from Walmart? Oh, apparently not. :) Well, that's what I do or I buy certain ingredients like chocolate chips in bulk from Sam's. Those two options haven't steered me wrong yet!

Reaction score
I like to purchase my baking ingredients at walmart or progressive foods as they tend to carry a wider selection of baking products at a price that is just right.

Reaction score
I live in a small village in Vermont. We have a general store that includes a post office, bank, and just staples. The closest chain grocery store is 25 minutes away. This includes Walmart, Shaw’s, price chopper, dollar store, hannafords. So I’m researching best prices currently for bulk. Oh and my mind and heart say King Arthur flour (which I live 20 minutes from the main place) but my wallet says NoPE

Reaction score
I purchase my pure vanilla and 70% chocolate at Trader Joe's. The quality and prices are outstanding.

I get most of my dry goods at Winco *fist bumps Whitewolf* which is a western US chain. They're famous for their bulk bins and dispensers. They have flours and nuts and seeds galore! Anything you can imagine, and I can get as little or as much as I need. They also have Kerry Gold butter for 2.88 (!!) So I get a block every week to have on hand or to keep in the freezer.

I tried black cocoa several years ago, and it completely ruined me for any other kind. I get that from amazon. It's a little pricey at around $15/lb but it lasts me a good year to 18 months.

Reaction score
I purchase my pure vanilla and 70% chocolate at Trader Joe's. The quality and prices are outstanding.

I get most of my dry goods at Winco *fist bumps Whitewolf* which is a western US chain. They're famous for their bulk bins and dispensers. They have flours and nuts and seeds galore! Anything you can imagine, and I can get as little or as much as I need. They also have Kerry Gold butter for 2.88 (!!) So I get a block every week to have on hand or to keep in the freezer.

I tried black cocoa several years ago, and it completely ruined me for any other kind. I get that from amazon. It's a little pricey at around $15/lb but it lasts me a good year to 18 months.

Second Trader Joe’s for baking supplies. I purchase all my nuts, dried fruit, eggs, and most of my dairy for baking there. I buy their frozen organic wild blueberries for my pies there too. I used to buy their chocolates, but lately I’ve been buying Guittard to temper for my biscotti.

My local TJ’s raised the price of Kerrygold about 6 months ago, so now it’s about the same price as Whole Foods. So I buy it at Walmart now for $2.08. I only use Kerrygold for shortbread, cake, and laminated dough.

Walmart also carries Plugra which I prefer for pie crust and cookies like chocolate chunk because Kerrygold is too soft for these applications.

Reaction score
Second Trader Joe’s for baking supplies. I purchase all my nuts, dried fruit, eggs, and most of my dairy for baking there. I buy their frozen organic wild blueberries for my pies there too. I used to buy their chocolates, but lately I’ve been buying Guittard to temper for my biscotti.

My local TJ’s raised the price of Kerrygold about 6 months ago, so now it’s about the same price as Whole Foods. So I buy it at Walmart now for $2.08. I only use Kerrygold for shortbread, cake, and laminated dough.

Walmart also carries Plugra which I prefer for pie crust and cookies like chocolate chunk because Kerrygold is too soft for these applications.

The TJ's frozen fruit is really a cut above and always a great value. So affordable! Have you tried their freeze dried fruits? They're airy and crispy for eating out of hand. I grind the strawberries to add punch to a strawberry cake, and rehydrate the apples for various baking applications like apple jack.

Plugra is a great butter! I will use it interchangeably with KG if it's cheaper. At TJ's, they have this cultured butter imported from France for around 3 bucks. It is transcendent. If I didn't have self-control I would eat it like cheese, lol. Try it if you get a chance and it's in your budget.

Reaction score
The TJ's frozen fruit is really a cut above and always a great value. So affordable! Have you tried their freeze dried fruits? They're airy and crispy for eating out of hand. I grind the strawberries to add punch to a strawberry cake, and rehydrate the apples for various baking applications like apple jack.

Plugra is a great butter! I will use it interchangeably with KG if it's cheaper. At TJ's, they have this cultured butter imported from France for around 3 bucks. It is transcendent. If I didn't have self-control I would eat it like cheese, lol. Try it if you get a chance and it's in your budget.

YesTJ’s freeze dried blueberries are a staple in my granola recipe. I like them because they aren’t too sweet and don’t have that artificial flavor.

Their cultured butter is amazing good. Since I bake so much I rarely buy salted butter. But every now and then I buy their cultured butter to bake gluten free shortbread cookies. I like the flavor it gives the cookie.

Reaction score
Its a shame the public doesn't have access to the commercial products that businesses can get.
Its become near impossible to find fresh cake yeast for retail sale.
cake flour is becoming scarce. Cake mix has won.

so many of the ingredients are unknown outside the trade, there a world of flavorings I wish I could get my hands on but I'm 500 miles from the wholesale suppliers.

fresh yeast is available through amazon but its $28 for what looks like 8 oz. Thats $56 lb.
In boston I was paying 55c per lb for the same yeast.

Ask a Question