What Harmful Chemicals to Avoid in Cookware

Reaction score
I'm the type of person that's always looking for a bargain. My mom is really into paying attention to harmful chemicals and preservatives, but I have to admit that I'm not that educated in it. I know it's important to stay away from aluminum and Teflon, but what other pans should I stay away from? We need to restock, so I figured I would ask now before I do my shopping. Thank you!

Reaction score
I've become super paranoid about BPAs in plastic, and try to buy BPA-free or use glass or other alternatives whenever possible.

Reaction score
My whole pan set is Teflon:) l was not aware that Teflon was no good, l do stay away from cling film but I use foil to wrap up food:( I wonder if plastic tubs are ok.

Reaction score
I think Teflon is safe as long as you don't cook at really high temperatures with it. Most people don't seem to read the instructions that come with the pan (if they even come with instructions at all) that generally mention this. Teflon pans are not good to make something like "blackened" burgers or stuff like that. Also, obviously once the pan becomes worn and starts to chip it's time to replace it.

I was disappointed to find out that a Richard Simmons Electric Food Steamer I had bought was made with BPA. I had to get rid of it, even though I really liked the machine and was using it a lot. Armour brand makes a great electric food steamer too though that is BPA free. I think they only sell them at Target.

Ask a Question