Best stand mixers for beginners

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site.

Does anyone have and advice on what stand mixer to get? I'm overwhelmed with the choices out there

Thanks Marie

Reaction score
Hi. Welcome to the forum!! I recommend one of the lowest priced Globe mixers, but they are expensive. Still, you'll get your money's worth out of them.:)

Reaction score
If you're looking for something within your budget, the consider the Nutrimill Artist. It can be bought at a modest price. And it performs very well!! I have one. It's in this pic next to my Globe stand mixer.
My Globe sp05 mixer..jpg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site.

Does anyone have and advice on what stand mixer to get? I'm overwhelmed with the choices out there

Thanks Marie

well it really depends on what type of baking you’re going to do. There’s two types of mixers planetary and spiral.

Planetary mixers have a fixed bowl and the mixer head rotates from above. This type of mixer is good for batters and cookie doughs. Planetary mixers are no good for heavy doughs like bread and pizza. Since the bowl is stationary the heavy dough gets wrapped around the dough hook and gets dragged around the bowl. This creates friction heat which will kill the yeast. It also does not knead the dough properly. Mixing a lot of heavy dough in a planetary mixer will strip out the gear. They are simply not designed for mixing a lot of bread dough.

Spiral mixers have a rotating bowl and mixer head. There’s also a center post so the dough moves around the mixer attachment and the center post as the bowl turns. This movement turns the dough in the bowl, reducing friction heat and better kneading the dough. A spiral mixer is ideal for heavy doughs like bread and pizza.

Spiral mixers are very expensive. But if you are going to bake a lot of bread and pizza, it is definitely a mixer you would want to consider.

Insofar as brands, for planetary mixers KitchenAid is the most popular brand. I own two different models of KitchenAid, one of which is 20 years old and still going strong.

Spiral mixer brands that mix both dough and batters are

Bosch Universal (has some plastic parts)
Ankarsrum
Häussler Alpha Mixer

The Famag Grilletta is a dough only.
The WonderMix is a multi task appliance that I wouldn’t recommend

edit: you can view all the spiral mixers on Pleasant Hill Grain Company’s website. Unfortunately American companies don’t make spiral mixers, at least not home machines. So all the spiral mixers are European imports with the exception of the WonderMix, which is not a good quality mixer compared to the Europeans home spiral mixers. So Pleasant Hill Grain is the only company that imports all the brands.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes OP, lots of choices and different opinions. I used to use my bread machines as mixers for dough, but have since retired them. They were great dough mixers.

I use an old KitchenAid. It heats up pretty easy, so not good for big dough jobs.

Reaction score
I bought this larger model, the sp08 Globe commercial mixer used from EBay It still ly....works & runs likeit was brand new. Bought the bowl, beaters & splash guard separately. It's a true monster!! Bigger than anything I have or had!!!! It just needs a touch-up of paint in some spots. :)
Globe SP08 Miixer 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site.

Thanks Marie
Hi Marie, I have had a Bosch mixer for 36 years. The motor on this thing has never given me a moment of grief. I have had to replace the bowl once in that time. It came with mixing beaters and a dough hook. I later purchased cookie paddles when they became available. Mostly I use it to make my wheat bread which it does a terrific job on! But also use is for cakes, cookies, etc. I cannot speak highly enough of this machine! It is expensive, 36 years ago we had to save up for ours, but well worth every penny. Joyce

Reaction score
Hi Marie, I have had a Bosch mixer for 36 years. The motor on this thing has never given me a moment of grief. I have had to replace the bowl once in that time. It came with mixing beaters and a dough hook. I later purchased cookie paddles when they became available. Mostly I use it to make my wheat bread which it does a terrific job on! But also use is for cakes, cookies, etc. I cannot speak highly enough of this machine! It is expensive, 36 years ago we had to save up for ours, but well worth every penny. Joyce

I was going to get the Bosch Universal, but decided to get the Nutrimill Artist instead.

Ask a Question