Whipped cream from scratch!

Reaction score
This may not necessarily be a decorating thing, I do use a a cute little scoop on top of pies and tarts before saving them as a decoration. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys do to really "make the recipe" your own. I have a few cooks that I work with that argue back and forth about using granulated vs. powdered sugar... one claims that it is just icing without granulated sugar. I admit I like it with powdered, but I can see her point.

I mostly just do heavy cream, sugar and a little bit of vanilla extract. I know I have made it with egg whites before but I am not sure if that is something that is common in the US or more common in Europe.

Reaction score
I use the cream, a little vanilla or any flavored extract, regular granulated sugar, but just a little. I like my whipped cream a little less on the sweet side. I have a recipe for stablized whipped cream somewhere, with gelatin added so that it stays put instead of getting runny, gotta dig that out and share.

Reaction score
I use powdered sugar, simply because I'm too lazy to wait for the granulated sugar to melt, lol. I started out by using only vanilla essence but now I experiment a lot with additives. I've tried grated orange and lemon peels, grated chocolate, even spices...more often than not they end up tasting pretty good and different. I haven't using egg whites yet or gelatin for that matter. I'll have to try that soon!

Reaction score
We also use powdered sugar in our recipes. Mostly, because it is the easiest thing we can use. All you need is a little bit of milk or cream with vanilla and you got icing.

Reaction score
I also make mine with cream and powdered sugar with vanilla to taste, but I have tried with egg whites and vanilla, using cream of tartar to stabilize it.

However with egg whites is harder, and even more if you can get the stabilizer with ease.

Reaction score
I also add vanilla extract.
Funny, in the first recipe I read about whipped cream there wasn't anything of the sorts. I added it because I love vanilla. I didn't know that every second person adds it too.:)
I use granulated sugar, just because it's easier, because it's always out on the table. I actually used vanilla sugar last time, instead of extract and sugar separately. It worked pretty well. How do you add chocolate or spices? I've never added any other things to it.

Reaction score
My sister suggested me add some drops of Sambuca or Amaretto liquor next time rather than vanilla for an extra rich flavor. No suitable for children though.

Reaction score
I am going to have to try adding Amaretto liquor as that sounds delicious! May have to make that my “secret weapon” in dealing with the family when they are in town this weekend! :p

Reaction score
I was just asking in another thread for this recipe. YAY!! I am going to try a variation of it as soon as possible. What do you guys put it on that is the best?

Reaction score
We made some whip cream to go on top of our pie during Christmas. I am actually impressed with how will it turned out. Looks like store brand whip cream is no longer a option for me!

Reaction score
Whipped cream is good on everything! Well…okay…not everything…but it is good on a lot of different things! I sometimes will put it in my coffee drinks or I’ll use it as fruit dip as a snack. I’m not going to lie…I even eat it plain! :p

Reaction score
I use powdered sugar to make whipped cream. I mix heavy cream, powdered sugar and pure vanilla extract in a blender. I store it in the refrigerator in a covered container. The whipped cream taste so delicious on desserts and pastries. You can substitute vanilla extract for almond extract.

Reaction score
Whipped cream with a hint of orange lemon or chocolate?? Sounds decadent! This would go so well with a chocolate cream pie, lemon meringue or as a layer in a trifle dessert! Making your own whipped cream is probably a little bit healthier for you, right? If you're mixing cream sugar and vanilla, I imagine you're bypassing a lot of the fat and preservatives in store - bought whipped cream. Plus it seems so easy I'm going to start doing this all the time for desserts. Thanks!

Reaction score
I make it with powdered sugar. The granulated sugar never gets to the right texture for me. I think homemade whipped cream tastes better than any canned variety. I always whip it by hand because I can get it to the right consistency, rather than a mixer turning it into butter. You can flavor it with anything grated lemon or orange. I live it on a key lime pie with the lime zest in it.

Ask a Question