White butter rather than yellow

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can get white butter from in the UK?

i would like to make white frosting but only have yellow butter which comes out pale yellow. I’ve read on sites that you can get a white butter but can’t seem to find anywhere that sells it.

BTW a big thank you for giving me the website to buy coloured sprinkles to make my confetti cake, it turned out fantastic and my friends were amazed when I cut it.

thanks xx

Reaction score
The color of the butter is determined by the diet of the cows. In the spring and winter pasture grazing cows eat the beta carotene rich grasses. That in turn makes the butter more yellow. In the winter the cows cannot graze on fresh grass, so they are fed grains and hay. This grain/hay diet has less beta carotene, so the butter is lighter. Large industrial producers just feed grain all year around; so their butter will always be lighter in color.

There is a trick you can use to cancel out some of the yellow color in buttercream. Just add a tiny bit of violet. But you need to use a specific brand and color of food coloring. See the video for instructions. And trust me, I’ve tried other brands, and you just end up with gray.

Brand: Sugar Flair

Color: Grape / Violet

Reaction score
Never knew that there was white butter. I've always used yellow butter. :eek:

Ask a Question