White chocolate never works for frosting

Reaction score
So, I have tried a few times to create some version of white chocolate frosting. I can't remember the first one, but the result was the wc seized... Presumably because it got wet. But my latest attempt was an Italian Buttercream base and then once it was made I folded in melted white chocolate that I had let cool. It mixed into the Buttercream and solidified creating a crunchy-ish texture... Kinda like if I'd mixed sprinkles in there. I ended up using it, because it still tasted good, but was NOT what i was going for.

Any idea what I did wrong??? The IMBC was perfect before adding the wc

Reaction score
Make the buttercream again but instead of just melting the chocolate add cream and make a gauche. Once the gauche is cold fold it into the buttercream.

Reaction score
Pleasure if u don't like that, make a ganuche with equal quantity of chocolate and cream (is 500g chocolate and 500ml cream). Once it is room temperature whip it until it is a thick mousse and use it to frost cakes.

Reaction score
Why are you letting it cool? Using cooled chocolate for something like this will always end up with chunks, lumps, or getting crystals in it.

You can make a ganache out of it first, but I just melt the chocolate in a large stainless double boiler, then when it's melted, I take it off the boiler and set the pan in a large bowl with cool tap water in it, then use my mixer to whip it up. When it starts getting thick, I add my oil or butter base (melted) for my buttercream, and whip that. Then I start slowly adding in the sugar, salt, and flavoring (if you use that). You've got to be "quick on the draw" making it this way before the chocolate hardens past the point where it will turn to choco chips.

It takes some practice, but it gets the melted chocolate incorporated.

There is also a french buttercream that you can add white chocolate to for a silky, smooth buttercream. It's been many years since I've made that one, and I don't know what happened to my recipe. I know the base is made with butter, egg whites, and flavoring.

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad I came across this page. White chocolate butter cream sounds too delicious. Now, I'll know what to do instead of messing it up the first time I try it (hopefully). Thanks for the great advice.

I'm thinking this would make a good filling for cakes as well.

Ask a Question