WHITE EDIBLE NAPKIN

Reaction score
HELP!
I am new to this site and a new self taught cake maker. I am at the moment making a champagne ice bucket with champagne bottle (or hope to!) . How would I make a edible napkin to cover an area of bucket. ?

Reaction score
HELP!
I am new to this site and a new self taught cake maker. I am at the moment making a champagne ice bucket with champagne bottle (or hope to!) . How would I make a edible napkin to cover an area of bucket. ?

Normally these types of decorations are not actually edible. Rather they are made of sugar paste (blend of gumpaste and fondant). Shape the napkin and insert toothpicks on the back. Set in a cool place to dry. Depending on shape, you may need to insert into styrofoam form to dry. Just make sure it’s sanitary.

Reaction score
Thank you - I have seen edible napkins on the internet but seem to be in USA and are very expensive bought in bulk.

Reaction score
Thank you - I have seen edible napkins on the internet but seem to be in USA and are very expensive bought in bulk.

What you are taking about is wafer paper. Wafer is actually cheap. While wafer paper is technically “edible” it‘s tough, chewy and taste terrible. No one actually eats that crap, and if you’ve ever tried chewing it you’d know why. It’s a decoration. It was a fad about five yrs ago, but it poses too many problems (so tough you can’t cut through it; so tough you can’t eat it; disintegrates when it comes in contact with moisture, can’t stay on a cake very long since being in humid environment destroys it, rips easily, so you have to make a bunch of extra pieces increasing labor and material costs, difficult to attach to cake since it rips so easily, limited size of sheets means design limits, etc.) so few bakers use it.

But to create folds in wafer paper you have to coat it lightly with vegetable shortening.

Ask a Question