White vinegar and baking powder in cake batter ?

Reaction score
Hello I love making my own cakes not following instructions

I want to add white vinegar and baking powder together in my cake batter

What will happen ?

Reaction score
Depends on how much you add.

Too much of either will leave a nasty taste in your mouth after taking a bite of cake.

Most people use a tablespoon of vinegar in sweet recipes to cut down on the "sugar taste".
I personally, use a bit of vinegar in some sweet recipes to cut down on the sugary taste. I even use vinegar in my buttercream frosting to help cut that tooth hurting sweet you get from it.

Reaction score
Vinegar reacts with bicarbonate of soda to produce carbon dioxide. It can be used to help baked goods rise, but the reaction doesn't last forever so once both are added to the batter the cake should be put in the oven quickly!

Reaction score
I'm a lousy baker but vinegar is sometimes added with milk in a recipe as a substitute for buttermilk. I only know this because I found it in some recipes for muffins. It works, sort of. I prefer real buttermilk, but I couldn't taste the vinegar. I imagine you could if you used too much. With either buttermilk or milk and vinegar, there does need to be some baking soda in the recipe. I've read that for every cup of milk replaced with buttermilk, baking powder should be reduced by 2 tsp. and that replaced by 1/2 tsp. of baking soda. I doubt that's a hard and fast rule.

As I mentioned, I cant bake worth a darn so I'll shut up now.

Reaction score
If you use the correct ratio, you'll get an airy cake. During the Great Depression bakers started using a vinegar because of the limited availability of ingredients that aided leavening like eggs.

A number of older Red Velvet cake recipes call for mixing the baking soda and vinegar then folding it in like you would beaten egg whites.

Reaction score
i use vinegar in my cake mix, I simply add it to my butter or egg (a single cap), it makes the cake stay most longer

Ask a Question