Whole Lemon Cake

Reaction score
It was Mother's Day here in the UK last Sunday, so I made this cake :) It includes two whole lemons in the actual cake batter, and it was probably the most lemony cake I've ever tried!

Recipe: Mary Berry Whole Lemon Cake

Here's how it turned out:

Whole lemon cake.jpg

Whole lemon cake topping.jpg

I was pressed for time so I did the lemon rind topping in the over rather than leaving it to dry out in a warm place, but they were nice and chewy! Also because I was in a rush I didn't cut the layers in half and just put all the filling in the middle!

Reaction score
O_O

This might be the most delicious thing I've ever seen my entire life. Not because I'm pretty hungry right now (because of the cake), but because I love lemon. I love love lemon.

It might be made in a rush, but everything seems to fit perfectly. Oh my gosh, I can feel it coming to life from my computer screen. Do you know that feeling when everything starts becoming too real to imagine? Yep, this is how I'm feeling right now. Wow, this is so amazing.

But if I may ask, how large did the cake turn out to be? And how many people can potentially eat this? (Because I'm potentially thinking of baking one for myself.) Hehe

Reaction score
I love lemon cake so I'm definitely going to give this one a go soon. Thanks for the pictures which bring it to life.

Reaction score
Aw thanks! Definitely give it a try, I think you'd really like it. I was extremely well behaved and froze most of it so that we didn't need to eat it up quickly, so I'll let you know what it's like when I defrost it. I like things that freeze well, so hopefully this one falls into that category!

Reaction score
I love just about anything lemon so I will be giving this cake a try rather soon. Your included pictures just brought the picture to life and that just made me want to try it even more. Did you take out the seeds by chance? I wouldn't want to risk someone getting choked over a seed.

Reaction score
I love just about anything lemon so I will be giving this cake a try rather soon. Your included pictures just brought the picture to life and that just made me want to try it even more. Did you take out the seeds by chance? I wouldn't want to risk someone getting choked over a seed.

Sorry only just was this now - yep I removed the seeds. The cooked lemon is really soft so it's easy to do with your fingers.

Reaction score
Oh my, that looks absolutely lovely. The recipe is an interesting read, by the way. I wonder if it could work with other citrus fruits, like grapefruit or pomelo. Of course, I would have to remove the bitter white pulp, but the theory is sound. I'll definitely have to give it a go some time.

Reaction score
This looks absolutely great! And you were in a hurry?! ;)
I really want to try this one now, after seeing your picture, it looks so delicious and I absolutely love lemon cakes.

Reaction score
That looks absolutely wonderful! Was it moist? I am always looking for a delicious lemon cake or lemon anything recipe! I love lemon cookies, cake and brownies. Oh pretty much everything and anything that has lemon in it, I love. Thank you for sharing!

Reaction score
Yep, it was incredibly moist! We had some more of it last night - I had frozen entire chunks (iced and filled) and I'm pleased to say that it defrosted perfectly! :)

Reaction score
This certainly looks delicious and especially because any recipe that has lemon it appeals to me greatly...it's been a while i haven't baked a lemon cake at home but i do grab a slice whenever i visit the bakery.

Reaction score
This looks AMAZING! I got a few of Mary Berry's recipe books for my birthday, and she has a whole orange cake in there which I want to try! This is going on my list too!

I have a Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe on my blog if anyone wants to try a simple recipe to start with.. maybe before you move onto a cake like the whole lemon one! :)

I you would like to take a quick look the link is..... http://www.roseannacreates.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-easiest-lemon-drizzle-cake-ever.html

xoxo

Reaction score
Yummy! Your description is completely heavenly! Lemony is absolutely the best word someone can use in order to convince me to buy a dessert, muffin or cake ;) I actually love lemon desert and and lemon pies!!!! mmmmm! And those crystallized bits of lemon peel are something special ;) I've always wanted to try something like that.

Reaction score
What a great cake for spring. It looks very happy and a perfect way to welcome the sunshine. I am not sure if the sun is going to stick around here for very long right now, but this looks like a good cake for Easter. Thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question