Whole wheat Flour

Discussion in 'Disaster Help' started by Marya Afzal, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Marya Afzal

Marya Afzal Member

Every time I bake with whole wheat flour, my desert always becomes very dense and sometimes even tastes very flour-y. Sometimes the flour taste overpowers the whole desert and it just tastes gross. Does this happen to happen to anyone else because I really would like to bake with whole wheat flour. The only solution I have found is completely not baking with whole wheat flour and switching to oat flour which I don't really mind because I love oat flour but sometimes I want to follow recipes that use whole wheat flour.

Marya Afzal, Feb 19, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Marya Afzal

Trellum Well-Known Member

This is tricky! For flour tortillas we always use a mix of white flour and whole wheat flour, in the end I think more white flour is used, otherwise the tortillas will be too hard! I do the same with my carrot cakes. Baking with whole wheat flour is tricky :/

Trellum, Feb 20, 2016
    Marya Afzal likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Marya Afzal

mommy42 Well-Known Member

I used to bake with whole wheat flour too and had the same issues! Like Trellum I had to do a mix of white and wheat. I didn't like how the wheat flour made my baked goods taste! You are right - the floury taste overwhelmed all the other ingredients! Yuck! I would think with the recipes that call for wheat flour you could sub the oat flour - I baked with almond flour for a while - but the lack of gluten would make everything flat and dense!

mommy42, Feb 20, 2016
    Marya Afzal likes this.
  4. Marya Afzal

Marya Afzal Member

Yeah I agree with you that you have to mix it with white flour, I wish I could bake with only whole wheat flour, because I don't even keep white flour at home

Marya Afzal, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Marya Afzal

Marya Afzal Member

I think I might just try mixing whole wheat flour with oat flour and see how that turns out. I've never baked with almond flour but I would love to try baking with it. I've also been thinking about baking with coconut flour, we're gonna have to see how that turns out.

Marya Afzal, Feb 20, 2016
  6. Marya Afzal

ChesterV Well-Known Member

Wheat flour is not as refined as white flour.

You might think of it in terms of "chunky" and "smooth".
    The less refined a flour is, the more "chunky" it will be, and therefore be very dense when using in any recipe.
    The more refined a flour is, the more "smooth" it will be, and you can make things that are light and airy.

I personally hate whole wheat anything. But I have to eat that now that Im older.

I would suggest using lighter flours with the wheat and experimenting with that.
    I personally prefer potato flour as a filler or alternate.

ChesterV, Feb 20, 2016
  7. Marya Afzal

Winterybella Well-Known Member

@ChesterV I have to confess I am no real fan but because I am older and hopefully wiser I use it. There is really nothing like the taste of regular flour but it is what it is. I notice the difference when I bake but sometimes I just do a half and half especially with banana bread. I have to say with scones I don't have a problem. They taste good with any flour.

Winterybella, Mar 2, 2016
  8. Marya Afzal

AkritiSharma New Member

Whole wheat flour includes the bran and germ so they have a more complex taste and create a better texture than refined white flours. Check if you can add baking soda or something to improve recipe texture.

AkritiSharma, May 7, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question