Why Cakes Fail

Reaction score
We've all been there. We've all had a cake fall flat, or grow a giant bubble or hole in the middle. What are we doing wrong?! Here are a few hints and tips to help from your cake being a failure.

Problem: My cakes are not moist. They always turn out dry and flaky.
Solution: Substitute the oil for applesauce or plain yogurt.

Problem: When I ice my cake with incing, cake crumbs stick to it. It looks unattractive.
Solution: First, dust the surface of the cake lightly with a pastry brush. It will help get all of the crumbs off the cake before you ice it.

Problem: After I cut my cake, it drys out really quick.
Solution: Wrap the leftover cake with a few slices of apples or a slice of bread. Then store it in a tight container.

Problem: My cake has a hump in it.
Soultion: Watch how much flour you use. Too much flour can cause a hump. Also check the temperature of the over. If it is overly hot when you start baking, you could get a hump in it.

Problem: My cake has fallen and is flat.
Solution: The temperature on your oven may have been too low or you may have removed the cake too early. It is also possible you added too much shortening or sugar, or not enough flour.

Source: http://tipnut.com/cake-baking-tips/

What tips or solutions do you have to add?

Reaction score
Other tips for a perfect cake . . .

• Stir flour prior to measuring in order to avoid using too much.
  • Allow ingredients to warm down to room temperature for better blending.
  • Tap baking pans with batter on table in order to rid air bubbles.

Reaction score
I'll have to keep these tips in mind when baking a cake. The only cakes I've ever made, that were successful, were store bought mixes. I don't think I've ever stirred the flour first, though, so I will have to try that.

Any more. tried and tested, tips? I need all the help I can get :)

Reaction score
Does anyone water down icing to put on the cake as an initial layer to hold those crumbs? That's what I was taught to do.

I have to be careful when I am taking the bubbles out of the cake :), sometimes I am heavy handed and it kind of goes flying instead of just settling it.

Never used greek yogurt instead of oil ( have used applesauce), is there much of a difference?

Reaction score

That one really helped out a lot thanks!

Reaction score

What tips or solutions do you have to add?

Does the same apply to breads? There is a gluten-free bread recipe I've tried to make twice, but it either turns out too gummy or too flaky. :oops:

Ask a Question