Why dоеs brеаd hаvе а сrust?

Reaction score
Why does bread have a crust?
Why isn't the chаnge in texturе from the оutside to the inside more gradual? Instead, we end up with a hard, crunchy exterior and a evenly soft, doughy interior.

Reaction score
Well to be honest, I have no idea. I am a little embarrassed too, because I really feel like this is something that I should know. That said, I am sure when I hear the reason it will be one of those "oh yeah" moments and I knew it all along type things, but we shall. I am interested to see the responses, so thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Because when the outside of an item containing flour is exposed to high heat, it will dry out and cook faster than the rest of it, which essentially is like sealing in the moisture. This makes it more difficult for the internal moisture to escape, keeping it inside, thus this is why bread is baked so long......it takes more time for the moisture to escape the dough in order for the internal ingredients to be baked.

And, depending on what kind of bread you are making, you can do different things to the exterior of the bread/dough to get different results in the crust.

Reaction score
The crust is the effect of the searing in the oven. The extreme heat penetrates the dough but not in the same temperature as experienced by the surface. So when the interior of the dough is cooked, the exterior is already somewhat toasted hence the crust that we see. The morning bread here that we call pandesal is not attractive without the crust on top. That crust is what we love especially when it is crunchy to the bite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads