Why did you start baking?

Reaction score
I still remember baking with my Grandmother Alice when I was ten years old. She used to make all the pastry for her delicious home baked pies. I remember rolling out the pastry and cutting away the excess around the dish with a butter knife. She was stood nearby smiling at me covered in flour. Baking between relatives creates some lovely bonds and memories.

Reaction score
I am the same as you Mayvin. I would love to bake more but sometimes just don't get the chance to. I have surprised myself sometimes with some of the baking creations I have produced, so I think it just comes a bit more naturally to me than some of my friends. That being said, I am still a beginner and I haven't quite mastered the techniques or skills I would like to.
My mum used to make and decorate some beautiful cakes when I was little so I grew up with homemade birthday cakes and yummy treats. I think this has inspired me to try my best to bake as much as I can for my own children and is probably the main reason why I started baking myself.
Homemade goods just taste so much better than store bought and can be made relatively cheaply, plus the satisfaction you get from something you baked is like no other :)

Reaction score
I started baking when I was young because I would always see my mom make her signature white cake and it always made me want to learn how. I was also a very artsy kid, so it sparked my creativity! I also started baking because I'm not really good with cooking, but baking is a lot easier for me to follow for some reason. Works for me!

Reaction score
I can't really remember because I was so young. I reckon it must've been because I saw my mum baking and wanted to help her, and then that led me to wanting to try to bake things on my own. I know when I was a bit older, but still quite young (say 8/9), part of me wanted to prove myself by showing off my ability to bake unsupervised to my parents. Now I just enjoy it because it's relaxing and there's nothing like the first bite of something delicious you made with your own two hands.

Reaction score
I started baking when I had my daughter. My mother barely cooked, never baked and I wanted to get my daughter used to making things at home as opposed to store bought. Plus as she got older, we baked together which was a special bonding time for us.

Reaction score
I was raised in a home where we had no kitchen stove, and all of our meals were made in an electric frying pan, and a crock pot. I never learned to bake, but I have usually been able to make a lot of the same foods in the electric skillet.
Eventually, when I was raising my children, I started learning how to bake things, and I still do not bake anything very complicated, or make bread from scratch, but I can make most simple things, and I have a bread machine for making bread.

Reaction score
I started baking originally because at family dinners, us younger ladies were not trusted to bring anything but desserts. First few gatherings I brought a store bought treat, which was a bit dry or just not up to par. So I attempted my own little creations in the kitchen while no one else was around. To my surprise I enjoyed it and loved the warm, fresh, sweetness as it came out of oven. Been hooked ever since.

Reaction score
Just like most of you here, I was inspired by my mom. She used to let me and my brother help out in the preparation. She also allowed us to use the mixer even when my brother makes a mess by intentionally spinning it outside the mixing bowl! And now with 2 kids of my own, I do let them help out when I bake. They are not as messy as we were back then, thank goodness!

Reaction score
I can remember when I was really young watching my Granny make biscuits. It was such a wonderful site and hers always turned out perfectly shaped and delicious. I never got the chance to get my hands in the dough but those memories of watching her stand out in my mind. The smells of the kitchen when I was younger as well always stand out. I try to recreate those memories and smells.

Reaction score
I started baking because i had a lot of spare time after finishing college and was at home by myself a lot. So i started looking up recipes which i could use to bake things that i'd already got in my cupboard.

Reaction score
I started baking after I broke my leg and I couldn't work. It took my mind off the boredom of doing nothing and now I bake all the time. I am currently unemployed so I have plenty of time to make things from scratch. Plus my partners kids love too bake when they come here and my fridge is always filled with goodies. I have a whole cupboard dedicated to baking so we have things on hand when I get the urge to make something tasty

Reaction score
I used to bake now and then with my mother when I was little, and over the years would get sporadic urges when I'd go a couple of weeks trying out various things.

Mostly it's just a fun kind of creative outlet that I can eat at the end!

Reaction score
I started baking for the holidays, mostly Christmas cookies. I realized I loved baking treats and started doing it year round!

Reaction score
I started at a young age watching my mother bake/make food. I wanted to make things just like she did so I would join in and would usually get to make my own mini versions of whatever she was making. There's a video of her making apple pie and I'm just off to the side on the cupboard getting to make my own mini apple pie.

Reaction score
I remember starting because I wanted to make something with my own hands. I wanted that fulfillment. I always thought that baking was a way to make other people happy. And I wanted to be able to do that so I started baking.
I remember having an easy-bake oven as a child. I think I started baking because my mom always did. I loved her homemade bread and she is the best as baking beautiful cakes. I know I will never be such a great cake-baker, but I can always aspire to be!

Reaction score
My grandmother, who passed away ten years ago, used to bake cupcakes when I was little. They were delicious and cute. Years later I started watching food network, and I realized that what I liked to watch were baking shows more than anything else. Also, I'm a picky eater, hehe. I decided since I love sweets that I should learn how to bake - especially cupcakes!

Reaction score
I'm now baking because i'm bored due to having finished uni and being off until October. Got to do something with my time really! Haha.

Reaction score
I started because my mother taught me, lol. I didn't always like doing it, I thought it was boring, but as I got into my tweens and teens, I realized it was fun, and might also be useful, haha! If it weren't for my mom insisting that I help her with dinner and other things, I probably wouldn't know how to cook.

Reaction score
I make lots of things for meal times trying out new things al the time but for desserts I was in a rut. I decided enough is enough I need to try new desserts too so I started with a carrot cake, then I made key lime pie then it just went on an on and what kept me going was that everything I made was a hit and tasted how it should. I just didn't have confidence in myself but now I will try al sorts of bakes and get in a panic if my baked goods have run out. I love baking it tastes so much nicer than store bought too!

Reaction score
My grandmother got me in the kitchen! I remember when I was younger. It was around Thanksgiving and she was making a key lime cake from scratch. I really wanted to help. So I asked her did she need any help and that's when I got to crack my first egg! No shells got in the mix! I have been in the kitchen ever since.

Ask a Question