Why did you start baking?

Reaction score
I started baking when my wife got pregnant. She loves sweets and always looking for that particular taste. It was very difficult for me to please her with what she wants since she's very specific on every detail so I decided venturing out in baking. We enjoyed it so we now do it regularly almost every month now.

Reaction score
I actually started baking because of a class I took in high school. It was a cooking class where you basically learn how to cook of course! There was a baking unit in there, which was really fun, but hard to clean up. But after baking muffins for the first time, I thought that it was pretty fun! It's not too hard, but it's not the easiest either. You really have to mix it right. Over mixing can cause a disaster!

Reaction score
I agree with burtpovski. We tried baking muffins the first time and it was one of the easiest. We just got some problems with it being too sticky. I think I added too much sugar in it haha but gladly did it right the second time. It just sucks to clean all the mess up after.

Reaction score
I started baking because I have an enormous sweet tooth. As a teen, we didn't have very much money. So, buying snacks was an expense that wasn't necessary. I learned to bake to make cheap snacks for my family and me. I have continued to do so. I don't buy cakes and cookies, because I can make them myself for less.

Reaction score
I started baking because when I lived in Ethiopia, my housegirl would make homemade bread. When we came back stateside, we all missed that fresh bread. So with a little trial and error, I started baking bread occasionally. Before I knew it I was making somekind of yeast bread every week. I moved on to rolls, cinnamin rolls, sour dough products and the old fashioned beaten biscuits. My family loved anything I managed to produce and it was satisfying to see the smile on their faces when I pulled something out of the oven.

Reaction score
I have always loved cakes and pastries, I'm actually a foodie. I like anything sweets. But getting it straight from the bakeshop could be expensive sometimes. This is what actually drives me to start baking, now I won't have to go anywhere to get Blueberry Cheesecake where I can do it in my own kitchen. Just get all the necessary ingredients for baking and and you can do it on your own and much less expensive.

Reaction score
Making me think a bit far back for this one? lol. I guess I initially started because I wanted to be doing what my grandmother was doing. Later on it evolved into liking to make something and share my love of food and cooking with others =).

Reaction score
I've been baking since I was about 6 or 7 with help of course! My parents always baked cakes, but my first by myself was a cheesecake when I was 8 years old. I used to make cupcakes, or what we called fairy cakes then with different toppings and I would bake for the church fetes and also the family birthday cakes.

I love baking, the smell and that I can make something and see the results and bring pleasure to others.

Reaction score
I started baking because the pastry chef at my restaurant left, and I had to quickly think of some things to bake. It was quite a frantic week. I always hated baking, but after I got the hang of it, I started loving it.

Reaction score
I started as a young girl just to say I could. Had some early mistakes that took me straight to the box cakes. Since coming here I have been doing more. Don't want to be left completely behind. I am just hoping I find enough time to try a lot of what I see here. Cooking comes much easier.

Reaction score
I think baking is somehow like a family tradition for me...i was always in the kitchen from i was a tot with my great-grandmother and overtime my love for baking was deep although at a point in my early adolescence when i rather eating out with friends than helping out with the baking at home.

Reaction score
I started baking because I wanted to taste a cheese pie :) Yep, I had already tasted some, but I knew there had to be something better than those and it was up to me to make one. The first time I failed miserably, because my cheese pie was a salty one (forgot the condensed milk) but I didn't give up :) I tried once more and I got the cheese pie of m y dreams.

Reaction score
I started baking when I was still single because at that time I am already interested in learning how to cook and to bake and I always watched my mom while she is in the kitchen cooking or baking. Then as years goes by the more I had the passion doing this kind of activities at home until now that I am married already.

Reaction score
I really just enjoy it. Baking feels good to me. The whole house smells delicious,, and it's just so welcoming. I love when the kids come in and smell something baking. It creates instant smiles.

I might not be the greatest baker, but I try hard, and I think I've continued improving.

Reaction score
I started baking because my Mom quit when she went to work. That seems silly but everyone in my family had always enjoyed homemade baked goods and my Mom just got burnt out on baking and cooking. I understood what she was going through and it gave me a chance to step it up around the house. I actually still enjoy it though so it's all good.

Reaction score
I really cannot recall the reason but I remember I was12 years old when I started to show interest for kitchen and cooking. I was playing around in the kitchen when I was alone, making pudding with coffee beans or adding raisins and milk trying to create a milkshake of a kind :). My mother realised I was doing something and she was afraid I could leave the stove or hurt myself with knives so she asked me if I would like to help her one time with something and it just started. I was overwhelmed by the fact I can make food and 16 years later I can say I have good experience in kitchen. I even had my small restaurant business for a while.

Reaction score
I remember wanting to learn how to cook and bake when I was very young and reading books like Anne of Green Gables and the Little House books. I loved the story of Ma Ingalls making a pie with green pumpkins because they had to use them up before the frost hit and Pa tasting it and thinking it was apple pie! :)

I started collecting cookbooks and some kitchen supplies before I moved out and once in my first apartment I really started trying things. I remember making my first loaf of bread, the big heavy white ceramic bowl I mixed it in (still have that bowl!) and how good it felt to make it! Turned out not too bad too as I recall!

My mother could NOT cook - don't really remember her ever baking anything. My grandmother on my mom's side could bake - I remember her apple pies were amazing.

I've just always been drawn to cooking and baking. I love to feed people!!!

Ask a Question