Why do one of my doughnuts have a white line and the others don't?

Reaction score
I noticed after frying them.
IMG_20220425_002541.jpg

Reaction score
The white line is under-fried dough, a result when the donut evenly expands in both directions when fried. The donut’s center floats above the oil line, so doesn’t brown.

When dough that is not properly mixed, rolled and cut, and/or proofed, the donut does not expand properly, and the weight causes it to sink lower in the oil.

DDT: 78° to 82° F (25.6° to 27.8° C) desire dough temperature, this is the temperature of your dough should be when you’re finished mixing it. There’s a formula and method for achieving DDT. It is a standard in all baking, not just donut dough. If the finished dough goes more than 3° above this range, it will most likely over ferment during bulk fermentation, especially if you have a hot kitchen. This will cause a slack dough.

Proof box 95° to 100° F (35° to 37.8° C) to high a temperature will result in over fermentation causing a slack dough. This is result in inconsistent symmetry.

Humidity 80% - 85% If there is not enough humidity during proofing a skin will form on the dough. Too much humidity will cause a slack dough from too much moisture and over fermentation. Both conditions result in inconsistent symmetry.

Rolling and cutting: too much bench flour is the main culprit. Most bakers, especially home bakers don’t know how to roll dough properly. Use only a pinch of flour on the work surface. When your dough is properly rested, it will roll out with ease. Adding bench flour changes the formula (hydration percentage) as the dry flour gets imbedded into the dough.

Failing to brush off excess flour before cutting and proofing is another common mistake. Excess flour weighs the dough dough, changes the formula, and the additional dry flour changes how the dough fries.

Cutting: if cutting by hand twisting the cutter is a common mistake. It distorts the cut edge so the dough does not expand properly.

Also you asked in another post why your dough does not rise enough.

Low volume is caused by several factors:

DDT: dough is too high in temperature after mixing

Sugar: too much sugar in the formula. Yeast feeds on sugar; when there is too much sugar in the formula for yeast develops too fast. Yeast is a living organisms; when there is too much yeast, it will plow through its food source. When there’s no food it begins to die off. We call this gassing out.

Proofing Temperature: proofing temperature is too low. See above for ideal proofing temperature.

Experience: knowing when dough is proofed. Did you under/over proof dough?

Reaction score
Note to others: I don’t answer donut questions for professional bakers any more. I answered this question because the poster is a home baker who uses a home recipe.

The reason I do not answer doughnut questions for professionals anymore is I was inundated with requests for help in solving fundamental issues involving doughnuts. Not only was it time consuming, but those running a business should know the fundamentals of their business. In other words if you own a donut shop you should know how to make a doughnut.

Reaction score
The white line is under-fried dough, a result when the donut evenly expands in both directions when fried. The donut’s center floats above the oil line, so doesn’t brown.

When dough that is not properly mixed, rolled and cut, and/or proofed, the donut does not expand properly, and the weight causes it to sink lower in the oil.

DDT: 78° to 82° F (25.6° to 27.8° C) desire dough temperature, this is the temperature of your dough should be when you’re finished mixing it. There’s a formula and method for achieving DDT. It is a standard in all baking, not just donut dough. If the finished dough goes more than 3° above this range, it will most likely over ferment during bulk fermentation, especially if you have a hot kitchen. This will cause a slack dough.

Proof box 95° to 100° F (35° to 37.8° C) to high a temperature will result in over fermentation causing a slack dough. This is result in inconsistent symmetry.

Humidity 80% - 85% If there is not enough humidity during proofing a skin will form on the dough. Too much humidity will cause a slack dough from too much moisture and over fermentation. Both conditions result in inconsistent symmetry.

Rolling and cutting: too much bench flour is the main culprit. Most bakers, especially home bakers don’t know how to roll dough properly. Use only a pinch of flour on the work surface. When your dough is properly rested, it will roll out with ease. Adding bench flour changes the formula (hydration percentage) as the dry flour gets imbedded into the dough.

Failing to brush off excess flour before cutting and proofing is another common mistake. Excess flour weighs the dough dough, changes the formula, and the additional dry flour changes how the dough fries.

Cutting: if cutting by hand twisting the cutter is a common mistake. It distorts the cut edge so the dough does not expand properly.

Sugar: too much sugar in the formula. Yeast feeds on sugar; when there is too much sugar in the formula for yeast develops too fast. Yeast is a living organisms; when there is too much yeast, it will plow through its food source. When there’s no food it begins to die off. We call this gassing out.

Proofing Temperature: proofing temperature is too low. See above for ideal proofing temperature.

Experience: knowing when dough is proofed. Did you under/over proof doug

Experience: knowing when dough is proofed. Did you under/

Reaction score
The last proofing I used a thermometer I inserted it into the dough it was 78 f than I fried them after that cause I thought it may have finished rising.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The last proofing I used a thermometer I inserted it into the dough it was 78 f than I fried them after that cause I thought it may have finished rising.

You have to make sure your dough is the correct temperature when you finish mixing it. that’s Desired Dough Temperature (DDT). There are four major factors that contribute to the final temperature of your dough:

- Room temperature
- Flour temperature
- Preferment temperature (if using)
- Friction factor (heat from mixing)
- Water temperature

The only factor that the baker can control is the water (liquid) temperature.

By adjusting the temperature of the liquid you can control the finished temperature of your mixed dough.

There is a calculation to use to determine the temperature of the water (liquids) to ensure your dough is the correct temperature when it is finished.

2) Proofing temperature is the ambient temperature where the dough proofs. this is not the temperature of the dough itself, Rather this is the temperature inside the proof box, or in the kitchen if you don’t have a proof box, or if you set your oven up as a proof box, the inside temperature of your oven.

3) You cannot tell if dough is proofed by temperature. You must feel the dough and look at it. This is what I mean by experience.

For bulk (bench/first) rise, do not use a bowl as the slanted sides make it impossible to gauge bulk. A tall straight side container allows you to see when the dough had doubled in bulk. Time does NOT determine when a dough is ready. The temperature of the dough, type of yeast, sugar content, flour protein content, salt content, hydration, and room temperature will all impact the speed in which the dough rises.

3265E9F8-D457-4110-ACC5-839A2652AB4F.jpeg

C6C7856B-C9C1-4DA8-B970-35F6348C9DB7.jpeg

Time does not determine when dough is finish proofing. You have to check the dough for feel and signs. These are croissants, but essentially the same characteristics apply to all doughs.

22AE5A81-2017-427A-8C7D-D7DBB0EBBE58.jpeg

Ask a Question