Why do people hate fruitcake?

Reaction score
I love fruitcake. My aunt makes the best that I have ever eaten. She makes a few types. One she soaks in Amaretto and another in bourbon. She also makes an alcohol-free version. She makes a dark fruitcake and also another that is more like a yellow cake and less dense.

Am I the only person on the planet that enjoys fruitcake? :D

I know it's one of those long standing jokes that people pass them on for years. So, if you send me one, please, I would prefer one that is freshly baked.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Do they? I LOVE fruitcake. The last one I baked went a bit wrong, I ended up putting wrong amounts of ingredients in, but they usually turn out alright!

Reaction score
I too like fruitcake. I wouldn't say I love it but I don't mind it. It wouldn't be my first choice for a dessert but I too don't think it is so bad that it's reputation precedes it!! LOL I think maybe what turns people off is that it is so dense. Maybe they just haven't ever had a good one? I've never tried to make it but that is probably because it isn't chocolate!!! LOL
I don't think I know anyone that makes it either - I think it is great that you both do!! :)

Reaction score
Ha! My Great-Grandmother made fruitcake, and I loved it! I've never attempted making my own, but maybe that will go on the holiday list this year?

Reaction score
I love fruitcake ,too, and it is one of the things that I look forward to enjoying at the holiday season, along with eggnog in my morning coffee.
I have never made any, but I usually buy it when they have some in the stores. It is so expensive, even for a little one, so I just get one of them, and then after New Years, they usually put them on clearance, so I get more then and freeze it, providing there is any left to go on sale at the store.
Someone must like it, it seems to sell pretty fast, even at the high prices.

Reaction score
People hate fruitcake because they've only had store bought fruitcake. If they had moist, homemade fruitcake, they might change their minds.
I've never made my own fruitcake, but I've tried someone else's homemade fruitcake and I liked it. Homemade fruitcake is a different experience from the store bought fruitcake.

Reaction score
I even like the store bought kind. :)

It makes me happy that so many people responded that they also like fruitcake. I am not feeling like such a weirdo now. :D Yes, it can be kind of dense, but depending on how you make it, it doesn't need to be. Plus, you can use any kind of dried fruits and nuts that you like. It doesn't have to be that heavily candied kind. I've had a fruitcake made with dried cherries, apples, pecans, and walnuts and it was fantastic!

Reaction score
I'm not sure why some people hate fruit cake, I guess it's just preference. I honestly don't know many people who dislike it. My aunt makes one every year at our holiday get-togethers, and it's one of the biggest hits of the parties. It ends up being eaten within minutes or less!

Reaction score
I love it, myself. But I have had a few store bought ones that were a little dry and disappointing, so maybe that's it.

But I do wonder if it's the fact that it is a food normally found during a season when there are so many other delicious things around. Fruitcake is tasty, but pretty low on my list of favorite holiday foods ;)

Reaction score
I love it, myself. But I have had a few store bought ones that were a little dry and disappointing, so maybe that's it.

But I do wonder if it's the fact that it is a food normally found during a season when there are so many other delicious things around. Fruitcake is tasty, but pretty low on my list of favorite holiday foods ;)

True, during the holidays, I'd rather have eggnog, pumpkin pie or pecan divinity than fruitcake. Fruitcake is good but it wouldn't be the first thing that I reach for.

Reaction score
I like fruit cake, although I've only ever had it as Christmas cake.The only problem then is that I don't like icing or marzipan, so I have to pick all of that off before I eat the cake, but it doesn't really affect the taste. I love how moist it is. My mum makes the Christmas cake around October every year and by the time Christmas comes around it's all fermented and lovely.

Reaction score
I love anything almond and the Amaretto fruitcake sounds great. I am with the group here, home made fruit cake can be very good. My guess is the joke started with a store bought one that was literally passed around for years. On the store bought front, I recently got a sort of "strip" of fruitcake in a gift package and it was quite moist and delicious.

Reaction score
I love fruitcake. Every Christmas me, my mom, and sisters would make 5 or so fruitcakes with old family recipes that we would give to other families or friends of ours. Of course we had to keep one!. But all the families we gave them to all loved fruitcake so I'm a bit skeptical when I hear so many people don't like it.

Reaction score
Well, personally I hate fruitcake xD too fruity and sticky for me, I guess. My sister loves it, though.

Reaction score
I don't hate fruitcake actually. I just don't like the taste of it. I remember the first time I had some and it was ok. A friend made it and they wanted my opinion on it. I told them it was ok but a bit dry. They didn't exactly like my criticism but hey I just told the truth.

Reaction score
I personally don't like fruit cake because the fruits stick to my teeth. I don't like the taste either. I'll eat it if you make it for me, but I probably won't eat it again if you give me an entire cake. My mom loves fruit cake though, it puzzles me how she can sit down and eat the entire cake on her own.

Reaction score
I think most people hate fruit cake because they have only had bad fruitcake. When you say fruit cake moth people thing of old hard stale brick shaped thing they buy from the grocery store. Most people have never had the chance to enjoy a homed made bourbon fruit cake baked from a recipe handed down for generations. Many of the people who claim to hate fruit cake have never even eaten it , they just go buy the bad reputation fruitcake has the picked up.

Reaction score
I personally don't like fruit cake because the fruit stick to my teeth. I don't like the taste either. I'll eat it if you make it for me, but I probably won't eat it again if you give me an entire cake. My mom loves fruit cake though, it puzzles me how she can sit down and eat the entire cake on her own.

I can not see how someone could eat fruit cake all by themselves. I would not be able to eat I by myself.

Reaction score
I can not see how someone could eat fruit cake all by themselves. I would not be able to eat I by myself.

My mom really likes her cakes and no one else in the family would eat it except her, that's basically the main reason why and how she could eat it on her own. Her fruitcakes aren't really big as well, but then again not too small and she puts less sugar in them as well. Give her a coke and she's set for the day (just Christmas). Do you like fruit cake?

Reaction score
My mom really likes her cakes and no one else in the family would eat it except her, that's basically the main reason why and how she could eat it on her own. Her fruitcakes aren't really big as well, but then again not too small and she puts less sugar in them as well. Give her a coke and she's set for the day (just Christmas). Do you like fruit cake?
I like fruit cake if it is cooked good. I do not eat it like your mom, but I will eat a fruit cake. My only problem is that I always get bad fruit cake that is as hard as a rock.

Ask a Question