Why Do People Use Margarine?

Reaction score
I never really understood why people may still use margarine. There are a few people I know that say cost isn't a issue but they prefer margarine over butter. Why is that?

Reaction score
Margarine is not only cheaper, but also has less saturated fat if compared with butter. However actually margarine is not considered as a good option as it was on the past because this is made of vegetable oil that is hydrogenated to make it solid, hence considered a trans fat, which is considered more unhealthy in comparison with saturated fats.

Reaction score
I never use margarine, I always use butter. Margarine is less expensive than butter but the taste isn't there and for the amount of fat that butter has it really doesn't add up to me to use margarine for health reasons.

Reaction score
In the 80's and 90's ,there used to be TV commercials promoting margarine as being heart smart and low cal, so a lot of people still have that idea stuck in their heads.
I once saw on the news that transfats in foods like margarine can cause your cells to mutate into cancer cells, and that stuck with me. I think it's worth it to spend the extra $3 on real butter rather than take my chances with the chemicals in margarine.

Reaction score
My mother insists on margarine because it was on the heart healthy list when my dad and grandpa were alive. That is actually what I grew up on.

However, I prefer butter in moderation. Yes, it does have more fat, but nothing in moderation is really harmful.

Reaction score
I am also a butter fan. Butter tastes so much better than margarine.
Margarine is supposed to be healthier than butter. However, if you use butter sparingly, you should be OK.

Reaction score
The flavor of butter is more potent than margarine. So, butter definitely improves that taste of a baked good. However, margarine is cheaper and healthier for the human body. For this reason, many people prefer margarine.

Reaction score
The flavor of butter is more potent than margarine. So, butter definitely improves that taste of a baked good. However, margarine is cheaper and healthier for the human body. For this reason, many people prefer margarine.
But the transfats in margarine can give you cancer, so it's an outdated belief that margarine is healthier.

Reaction score

Old "science". Just like many things most people still believe that they shouldn't.. saturated fats being evil comes from the 1950s. An extremely limited study that should not be at the root of everyone's fear of fat. The low fat craze ever since has just been damaging in my opinion. Saturated fat being an unhealthy fat is still being debated.. but modern science and actual studies are finally putting that old school myth to rest. I eat more (healthy) fat than I ever have and I weigh less than ever as well.. I'm also very heart healthy, among other perks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, for a long time I thought I was buying butter! Then I read this article describing how bad margarine was and I opened my fridge and realized I had been buying margarine all the time! I have a hard time finding real butter, except in small sticks. I need way more butter than that! So, sometimes I end up getting margarine.

Reaction score
For me, I can't have butter anymore.
I used to soak everything in butter, and I do miss it.
Margarine doesn't taste the same, but I can eat it, whereas I can't have butter anymore.

Although "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" tastes better to me than the other margarine's, even though the taste is very slight.

I know some people who can't have dairy products at all, and butter is definitely out of the question for them.

Reaction score
My parents only used margarine when I was a kid and only white bread.

Now I only have real unsalted butter in my house and no white bread but, man, some mornings I wake up and really want that white bread with margarine. Technically, it's not a high quality craving but it's from my childhood.

Reaction score
My parents only used margarine when I was a kid and only white bread.

Now I only have real unsalted butter in my house and no white bread but, man, some mornings I wake up and really want that white bread with margarine. Technically, it's not a high quality craving but it's from my childhood.

Same here. Now that I think about it, we only used margarine during my childhood days and then suddenly switched over to butter. I don't even know the reason why, to be honest:p

Ask a Question