Why Do You Bake Cakes?

Reaction score
There are times where I wonder why I even bake cakes.

I love chocolate cookies which is no secret to most of you guys. I eat cookies all the time and prefer them over any type of desert. Yet, I find myself baking cakes(chocolate of course) right a long with it. I guess it steams from when I was young and my mom taught me how to make my first cake.

Why do you guys bake cakes?

Reaction score
I started baking when I was too young to remember how old I was, but probably less than 5 years old because my sister is five years younger than I, and when I remember myself baking with a magic oven toy, she was not at home yet.

So that, baking has been to me a sort of lifelong pastime. Through my teen years, I used to bake a different cake every week or so just as hobby and to learn baking different types of them.

I love the taste of a cake slice served with a cup of coffee, a glass of milk, or hot chocolate, and since I'm always drinking coffee, I need to bake cakes to make sure I will have a slice to accompany it ;)

Reaction score
:DI enjoy baking cakes and other baked items because it was a special time for my grandmother and me. We would always be in her small country kitchen cooking and baking delicious desserts for our family members. Our neighborhood consisted of family only and there were lots of children. Granny, always wanted to have delicious desserts or treats readily available for her grandchildren so she baked almost daily. We made everything from cakes to cookies. Baking now with my children takes me back to those days and makes me feel so close to her. I will have a slice of cake or a sweet biscuit with coffee or tea and enjoy my afternoons or evenings watching my favorite shows like I did with Granny.

Reaction score
I find that baking a cake always brings people together. Everyone loves food, especially cake and sharing is great. Besides, I love getting compliments on my baking!

Reaction score
I love to bake, it is something wonderful that I can create. I am always the dessert one for the family get together. I enjoy this because dessert is the best course of the meal and I get to create this. Also I bake for just my family all the time. It is so much better than store bought just about anything and my family loves when we have a fresh cake on the counter when they come in! Make my heart happy to see them smile! Sweet little delights!

Reaction score
I find baking to be a great stress relief! It gives me a little time to just relax and breathe, especially after a difficult day at school. Also, the look on my roommates' faces when they walk in and smell the cake makes me so happy.

Reaction score
Cakes are easy to bake and taste better (normally) than what you can pick up at a grocer. They are also cheaper than what you can get at a bakery. So, to me, baking cakes at home just makes sense.

Reaction score
I don't. Not typically anyway. If I'm baking a cake, it's a super special occasion, like a birthday or another big event. My kids are used to having baked treats at the ready though, so no deprivation there lol. I've just never found a cake I'm particularly crazy about.. the texture is always wrong for me.

Reaction score
I actually don't really bake a lot of cakes. I make them for my children's birthdays and occasionally when we have a gathering that we are going to be attending. So those would be the reasons that I bake cakes.

The reason that I don't bake cakes more often than that is actually pretty simple. There is no one in our family that is really all that fond of cakes.

Reaction score
I like to bake cupcakes because they're easy to make and my daughter loves them. Baking is one way that I show my kid that I love her. Baking cakes or cupcakes is a faster, easier process than making fancy pastries. I'm not enough of an advanced baker to make things that are too complicated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are times where I wonder why I even bake cakes.

I love chocolate cookies which is no secret to most of you guys. I eat cookies all the time and prefer them over any type of desert. Yet, I find myself baking cakes(chocolate of course) right a long with it. I guess it steams from when I was young and my mom taught me how to make my first cake.

Why do you guys bake cakes?
For me, baking is fun. There's something so relaxing about puttering around the kitchen. I love baking a cake, smelling the mouthwatering aromas while it's baking, and tasting it at the end.

Reaction score
I am passionate about baking. I enjoy baking sweet and savory cakes. I like the way cakes taste and look. They are very fun and easy to prepare in minutes. Cake decorating is one of my favorite hobbies. I use sugar paste and icing to decorate my cakes.

Reaction score
When I look at the mess I make (ugh! the washing involved, i live in a country where dishwashers are not norm) I do wonder why I bake. LOL

But I love it. I enjoy the feeling of making something specially when it is enjoyed by family and friends. I also get giddy when I'm able to modify a recipe and come up with something yum and unique

Reaction score
I just love baking and cakes are something special and extra fun to do! I make them for birthdays of course - and cupcakes for my son's class as often as I can.

Beyond that I'll make them for parties and casual get togethers - either ones we're hosting or one we're attending.

There are a lot of cake recipes that just need a big crowd you know? I used to cater meals for my workplace all the time - staff meetings, etc. and would bake cakes for that but have moved on to a new job now.

My son's school has one big fund raiser every spring and I bake a TON for that, including many, many cakes :)

With few exceptions, I have never found anything I can buy that tastes as good as let alone better than homemade. Even the simplest cake tastes better than store bought.

And don't get me started on the icing that comes on most cakes from the store!!!

Ask a Question