Why does my pizza always taste like bread?

Reaction score
I tried to bake a pepperoni pizza but didn't turn out well,the texture is like bread as well when I cut into it it's like cutting into a piece of bread also very dry too,the cheese never melts completely on the pizza which I noticed with pizza the cheese is completely melted

Reaction score
IMG_20220503_020149.jpg

Reaction score
I tried to bake a pepperoni pizza but didn't turn out well,the texture is like bread as well when I cut into it it's like cutting into a piece of bread also very dry too,the cheese never melts completely on the pizza which I noticed with pizza the cheese is completely melted
I use a very, very old family recipe that my Sicilian great grandfather made! The crust turns out perfect every time. It's not too airy that it's like eating a slice of bread (although he did make bread with this recipe that was a more dense bread). This makes two thick crust pizzas or three thin crust.

Dough:

6 c flour
1/2 c lard (I use Crisco)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Dissolve 2 packets of regular yeast in warm water and let sit while mixing dough.

Grease the inside of a large bowl or inside of a food processor. (If you use a food processor, split the dough ingredients in half and do each half separately). Mix dough ingredients with dissolved yeast until it forms a nice ball of dough.

Grease two cookie sheets (I use Crisco or butter). Put half of the dough on each sheet and with floured hands, press to cover bottom and build up the sides a bit to form an end crust.

Sauce:

1 (29oz) can tomato puree
3 tsp sugar
3 tsp oregano
2 tsp minced garlic
fresh ground black pepper
Small pinch of baking soda (to cut the acid)

Mix well. Spread sauce all over the dough.

I then cover the sauce with onions, bell peppers, sometimes broccoli or other vegetables.

Bake 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. Lift edge to look at the bottom and when it's nicely browned, remove from the oven.

Add:

1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (1/2 lb on each pizza)
Pepperoni
Mushrooms
Anchovi (if you like it)
any other toppings you like

Put back into the oven on broil and watch carefully until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Attachments

• pizza1.jpg
    pizza1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 16

Ask a Question