Why give up commercial yeast? Oh, good reasons.

Reaction score
The joys and ease of walking away from throwing in the powdered yeast to raise breads. Not difficult and can be done while having an actual life. Here's my intimate look at giving up commercial yeast.

And a pretty picture of a recent slice of bread made with my perky starter.
IMG_0903.jpg

Reaction score
That bread looks great. What are the alternatives to commercial yeast? I'm not much of a bread baker so I have no clue. LOL

Reaction score
That bread looks great. What are the alternatives to commercial yeast? I'm not much of a bread baker so I have no clue. LOL

I read the link but I have to confess, it was a lot to digest. I was recently thinking of buying some yeast to try some hot cross buns, but my son is always preaching to me about yeast. When I saw the thread I got interested but like I said, it's a lot to digest. The blog is going require me going back,

Reaction score
I read the link but I have to confess, it was a lot to digest. I was recently thinking of buying some yeast to try some hot cross buns, but my son is always preaching to me about yeast. When I saw the thread I got interested but like I said, it's a lot to digest. The blog is going require me going back,
I'll make a confession too, yesterday I didnt even go in to check out the post because I tend to like forum discussions in forums. BUT, today I went in to check it out and but felt the same as you. It's quite a bit. I may revisit some other time.:)

Reaction score
Yes, working with natural yeast in a sourdough culture (or starter) is more involved at first than using commercial yeast. The first week or two of getting the fermentation going takes a little time, though it is perfectly possible to enjoy a normal life and to even work full time.

Once a starter is doing well, about a week in, then it takes two minutes to feed it, and no more time to use than commercial yeast. The benefits are certainly a sense of pride, the confidence of another bread challenge success (maybe that's part of the pride thing), and definitely the health benefits in terms of how the natural sourdough microbes work on the wheat, rye or whatever grains in the dough. My post lists some sources for scientific explanations.

Like anything else, you have to be ready. I made bread for over 10 years before I could even conceive of something like sourdough starter. I did not want anything more than throwing the ingredients in the bread machine.

I do not to proselytize on this even with people with digestive problems, but I admit I've become a believer. There could be pickle making in my future as I get more on the fermentation bandwagon generally (sauerkraut did not turn out well on the first try). o_O

Reaction score
Using sourdough is actually the best for overall digestion of grains. Wheat can be really hard to digest, even for those who do not have any sensitivities to gluten, it's just difficult to extract the nutrients. Souring the dough really helps with that much better than just using yeast.

Reaction score
I have to confess to absolutely loving sourdough. It is generally the only bread we purchase and thankfully the local supermarket don't charge a fortune for it either compared to other bread. I have been considering making my own but have always been put off my the ins and outs of the starter and maintenance of it. reading your blog was a touch daunting though, the blog is a little over powering to say the least...
I may consider the learning curve and start some myself, but have always thought a 50/50 white wholemeal mixture was more up my street that a rye or straight white flour. I'm not that keen on solely white bread....

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm really going to have to check this method out. I LOVE breads but suck at making them. I just need a little more practice...and a breadmaker. (hmmm...a gift?;):))

Reaction score
What a beautiful piece of bread :) To be honest I only have experience with commercial yeast, but I guess switching would make a big difference. I actually plan to make my own bread next year, so I can see myself checking your blog very soon, OP.

Ask a Question