Why is milk powder used in bread machine recipes?

Reaction score
I have a friend who enjoys baking bread. He uses a bread machine. I noticed that he always adds milk powder to his mix. After much discussion, he advised that milk powder is a standard ingredient required for recipes when using a bread machine.

Can anyone tell me why?

MilkPowders_MainPhoto.jpg

Reaction score
I have realized about this fact because I'm aiming to buy a bread machine. However I have no idea why of this, unless is about mixing all powder ingredients to "air them" and get the bread rising better.

I watched on TV a making-bread process that mentioned the quoted term above when mixing all dry ingredients.

Reaction score
If one can feel emotion towards a machine, I guess I love my bread machine! Since I got it, I’ve come to know the joy of baking, something I was never able to master (in fact, I was probably the worst baker on two continents!].

When I first started, I noticed a few recipes that contained milk powder and potato flakes, but by no means was it all of them! And I’ve seen by-hand recipes that have potato flakes (but not many with milk powder, I must admit.) I think they help to make the crumb lighter.

I’m starting to explore baking without recipes, and I’m trying to figure out exactly why they’re used too. And also how milk powder and potato flakes fit into a baker’s percentage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If one can feel emotion towards a machine, I guess I love my bread machine! Since I got it, I’ve come to know the joy of baking, something I was never able to master (in fact, I was probably the worst baker on two continents!].

When I first started, I noticed a few recipes that contained milk powder and potato flakes, but by no means was it all of them! And I’ve seen by-hand recipes that have potato flakes (but not many with milk powder, I must admit.) I think they help to make the crumb lighter.

I’m starting to explore baking without recipes, and I’m trying to figure out exactly why they’re used too. And also how milk powder and potato flakes fit into a baker’s percentage.

If it is not high heat treated milk powder, it’s a total waste of time to use in baking applications

Milk contains proteins and enzymes that can have adverse effects on yeast and gluten development.

The high and prolonged exposed to heat causes extensive protein denaturation and destroys the enzymes that inhibits yeast development. High heat milk powder is created by heating the milk to 190ºF for 30 minutes.

The denaturated protein increases water binding abilities, improves emulsification, aids browning. Commercial bakeries also use high heated treated milk powder because it doesn’t require refrigeration. So spoilage isn’t a concern.

The milk power sold in grocery stores is low heat treated. The proteins remain in their natural state as the milk is heated to a temperature of not more than 160ºF for just 2 minutes. It does not provide any of baking benefits that high heat treated milk powder provides. It’s suitable for milk replacement applications. Low heat treated powder is used for reconstitution, either mixed with water for drinking, or added to products like yogurt, cottage cheese, or starter cultures.

In you are in the US, you can purchase high heated treated milk powder from King Arthur Flour. I think they call it baker’s special milk powder.

https://www.aafoods.com/products/nonfat-dry-milk-powders/

Potato flaked are used to increase water binding, without toughening the product. It’s about starch gelatinization. Starch gelatinization happens when a sugar molecule becomes saturated and bursts. It then binds with other molecules to form a gelatin like mass. While you need starch gelatinization to occur in flour during baking (it gives structure to baked goods), too much of it will result in a dense tough product. The starch in wheat is unique that it does not break down at high temperatures. That why if you add too much water to a pie dough, then bake it at high heat, you end up with a tough crust.

Potato flakes are starch. When moisture and heat is added, starch gelatinization occurs. But unlike wheat starch the potato starch will actually break down at a certain temperature. So potato starch has a softening effect on baked goods.

Baker’s percentage methods apply the same to all ingredients. The amount of all ingredients must be determined as a percentage of the total weight of the flour. Even more critical when the ingredients influences flour perform. If you’re developing your own recipes, then it’s best to research standards for the various ingredients used in that particular product.

Ask a Question