Why is the gluten so weak in my doughnuts?

Reaction score
When ever I bake doughnuts they always don't turn out so well, I've had this problem for a while while frying they don't puff up at all don't get any bigger,i have proofed them well I don't think it's that ,maybe weak gluten but I don't now why,I kneaded the dough properly I always let it warm in a warm place in the oven,counter. Also I still can't get the white line on these doughnuts and they look nothing like the recipe I tried to follow and I always try to follow the recipe correctly.these doughnuts had 4 hours of rising,also checked if it was proofed couldn't tell when I pocked it it rising up to quickly.how can it be still underproofed after 4 hours,is there anyway to fix this please. The picture at the top is the recipe I tried to follow,the picture below is the ones I made yesterday.
AfterlightImage-1 (3).jpeg
IMG_20220507_035154~2.jpg

Reaction score
ingredients is four to four and half cups of flour,half a teaspoon of salt,two and half teaspoons of dry active yeast,one cup of lukewarm milk,two tablespoons of sugar,two large egg beaten,two tablespoons of unsalted butter melted and cooled.

Reaction score
The percentage of gluten is okay. A bit on the high side. But bread flour contains a higher percentage of bran and germ.

Bran and germ weigh dough down, so you get less rise.

Bran is also sharp, so the longer you knead dough with higher bran content, the more it shreds the gluten network.

Brioche dough also requires high sugar and fat; both inhibit rise.

So it's better to use a lower protein flour. If you can get something with 10% protein that would be better. If you are in the UK, try French Type 45 flour.

Reaction score
Actually I don't just use bread flour I use other flours like plain white flour,all purpose flour.and they all have a 10 percent in them also when I use these flours my dough ends up very sticky wet it always looks like porridge that's how wet it is.also recipes I follow they say mix until you get a smooth dough it never is smooth just super wet.

Ask a Question