Why my croissant is bready

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just came across this web and here my first post in Baking Forums. Very excited to share my baking stories and get to know more happy bakers!!

Lately I baked croissants, and they tasted less flaky and more ‘ ready’. Still can see layers inside but inner structure is not airy enough and a bit dense(pics attached).

Is this because they were proofed a bit too long? (roughly 110mins under a 25 Celsius temp) or maybe the dough is too warm so the butter layer got melted into the dough itself????

Thanks so much!!!!
Carol

Attachments

• 194E6EEB-49B3-41C4-8AE6-C9FF7E2A080E.jpeg
    194E6EEB-49B3-41C4-8AE6-C9FF7E2A080E.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 613EF9CD-764D-43B5-B683-C4241A772E5A.jpeg
    613EF9CD-764D-43B5-B683-C4241A772E5A.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 933DFC80-5C19-480A-A289-11946DB0003D.jpeg
    933DFC80-5C19-480A-A289-11946DB0003D.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 61E15A42-1BB5-4B20-A3E4-4C2C0EBF9BC3.jpeg
    61E15A42-1BB5-4B20-A3E4-4C2C0EBF9BC3.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 324
Reaction score
Hi Carol! Your shaping is so pretty! I’m thinking you may have let the butter get too soft when laminating. If the butter gets too soft, it gets soaked up into the dough as you continue rolling and pressing, and you lose that definition in the layers that are necessary for a nice open crumb.

Use a malleable high fat butter when making croissants. Also, make sure you’re chilling properly in between your folds. It’s tricky to know when the butter is the right temp - you don’t want it too cold (to prevent it breaking!) or too warm which is what I think happened here. There’s a sweet spot when the butter is bendable but still cold. Hope this helps a little!

Reaction score
Hi Carol! Your shaping is so pretty! I’m thinking you may have let the butter get too soft when laminating. If the butter gets too soft, it gets soaked up into the dough as you continue rolling and pressing, and you lose that definition in the layers that are necessary for a nice open crumb.

Use a malleable high fat butter when making croissants. Also, make sure you’re chilling properly in between your folds. It’s tricky to know when the butter is the right temp - you don’t want it too cold (to prevent it breaking!) or too warm which is what I think happened here. There’s a sweet spot when the butter is bendable but still cold. Hope this helps a little!
Hello!
I would think the same that I worked a bit longer with the butter and the dough, also I used a 80% fat content butter - which I am trying to replace with a higher %- Any suggestion on the brand??? I only found Kerrygold in the supermarket.
Again thanks so much for the tips! It's very helpful.
:)

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just came across this web and here my first post in Baking Forums. Very excited to share my baking stories and get to know more happy bakers!!

Lately I baked croissants, and they tasted less flaky and more ‘ ready’. Still can see layers inside but inner structure is not airy enough and a bit dense(pics attached).

Is this because they were proofed a bit too long? (roughly 110mins under a 25 Celsius temp) or maybe the dough is too warm so the butter layer got melted into the dough itself????

Thanks so much!!!!
Carol
They look over processed, too many layers, too many folds.

Weak flour and dry yeast both work against you.

If the butter didn't melt out before baking it was not too warm.

If no butter melts out during baking thats a good indication its over folded.

They might be a bit crowded in that pan which caused them to be underproofed resulting in a tight structure.
I would have proofed them bigger, I don't watch the clock, just watch the dough.
But even with a longer proof they will come out spongey because their over layered.

Last edited:

Ask a Question